Alexander needs to just lay back and think of scotland...or his preferred george of the moment

(side note what is it with these scottish kings and having boyfriends named george smh)

Francis has no great need of more sons Portugal would always stay closer to Spain than France
In the 16th century, Francis should not be so confident that two healthy boy children are enough. He is leaving the future of his house on his two underage sons. Not a smart idea.
Then again OTL, He screwed up his house’s future more, Leaving his oldest and youngest sons to die unmarried and un betrothed…..

“His Grace rides and hunts with Lord Seton daily,” Robert Balfour wrote in another private letter—perhaps intended for a member of his family. “They are rarely apart; Lord Seton’s rooms are close to the kings, and they often spend hours closeted together… bound by their mutual love of literature and poetry, most especially French. The king is always familiar with Lord Seton; he is addressed always as mon coeur chéri or mon beau Seton… the king lavishes the greatest care upon his greatest friend, and Lord Seton often shares the king’s bed…” Lord Seton seemed to be as attached to the king as the king was to him—and Lord Seton quickly became known within the Scottish court as George the Fair—the debonair young man having become a quick favorite of Alexander IV.
I ship it! Very nice descriptive prose throughout this update with Alexander’s lavish marriage and the feud between Anne and Beatriz reaching new heights.

Even though she legally is ahead of them, it certainly doesn’t hurt to bolster up the claim
Such marriage would only bolster the standing and claims of her husband. She is a Stewart and has no need to marry in the Scottish nobility, like her OTL cousin Mary Stuart.

In the 16th century, Francis should not be so confident that two healthy boy children are enough. He is leaving the future of his house on his two underage sons. Not a smart idea.
Then again OTL, He screwed up his house’s future more, Leaving his oldest and youngest sons to die unmarried and un betrothed…..
The youngest was engaged at the moment of his death and Francis had simply been unable to close a worthy engagement for his firstborn.

Who married her Stuart cousin
As second husband, after being widowed, and being unable to get a better match and because she had fallen for him. Mary could have married anyone else without that making any difference for her Crown (she was the undisputed Queen since the death of her father only few days after her birth). Do you remember who the Scottish Parliament REFUTED to give Darnley the Crown Matrimonial, as Mary would have wished?

As second husband, after being widowed, and being unable to get a better match and because she had fallen for him. Mary could have married anyone else without that making any difference for her Crown (she was the undisputed Queen since the death of her father only few days after her birth). Do you remember who the Scottish Parliament REFUTED to give Darnley the Crown Matrimonial, as Mary would have wished?
That is true yeah

If Alex dies without heirs and his cousin becomes queen, it would still be prudent to at least consider a Lennox match. Even if it doesn't bolster her claim, it at least allows the Stewarts to remain on the throne after she dies

Last edited:
Oh wow, Alexander IV is all grown up! This was quite an interesting chapter. I loved the development of Alexander, when it comes to both his personal life and how he reigns. The fact that he takes such interest in government, going to campaign through Scotland and deal with things himself, is so interesting to me! I also think that his relationships with both Seton and Georges are really intriguing; it seems like Scotland will have some very interesting times ahead, given Seton’s influence over the king. 👀 I wonder how Charlotte will navigate her life in Scotland, too… can’t wait for whenever we catch up with them again!

On the other side of things—Francis and his groupon peen strike again. 😂 Anne and Beatriz both being pregnant at the same time was super interesting, and not at all surprising. The line about Anne flaunting her pregnancy around made me laugh a little, as did the part about people thinking that she got pregnant on purpose to stir the pot in Francis and Beatriz’s relationship, lol! I feel so bad for poor Beatriz, though. Dealing with child loss is bad enough, it’s made even worse with how blatantly unfaithful Francis is–and that doesn’t even get into the humiliation that she must’ve felt once little Octave was born. She’s been dealt such a bad hand so far, unfortunately. I hope that she finds some happiness in France eventually, even if it’s only marginal.

Another splendid chapter! I can’t wait for the next one. 😊
Thank you, Mickey! Alexander IV is quite the interesting young man, and hopefully can help lead to a Scottish regeneration, which is so desperately needs. He's definitely got a colorful personal life, but that doesn't mean that he can't be a good king. I think Charlotte will have an interesting life as well: she'll certainly add some much needed luster to the Scottish court, which needs it.

Ha! Yes! 😂 I like to think that Anne is petty enough like that. I won't say if she did get pregnant on purpose or not, and let the reader decide.... but I could see her doing so, especially when relations between Beatriz and François had been somewhat restored. Beatriz is definitely not having a good time right now: but there's good times to come, I promise!

Ha! I love it! I shrieked with laughter when I realised Alexander had fallen for Georges as well as George Seaton, and here's hoping Charlotte survives Scotland better than her younger sister did OTL...
Thank you! Charlotte will definitely do better than Madeleine.

So, King Alex is a member of the alphabet mafia? Honestly, slay. Otl’s James VI has come early it seems, heh. Hopefully he can do his duty and provide Scotland with some much needed heirs. Otherwise his Albany cousin will likely have to marry into Lennox or Arran. Hopefully Charlotte will also manage better in Scotland than her sister otl. It’ll be exciting to see the two Georges fight for royal favour.

The French court seems to be a debauched mess. Poor Beatriz though. I understand that she’s losing it, with Francis being such a dick. At least Anne Boleyn has a much better fate here than otl, but Francis needs to remember that Beatriz is the one who can provide heirs and brings a Portuguese alliance. I can’t remember, what has happened to Mary Boleyn and their parents?
Yes, King Alexander is a little 💅. I believe in due course he and Charlotte will acclimate... she certainly isn't the first princess to leave her wedding bed as a virgin, after all. She's definitely in much better health than Madeleine de Valois, and there are high hopes for her to give birth to Scotland's next generation of princes and princesses with Valois and Stewart blood... despite there being many matches between the House of Valois and Stewart, none of them actually had any issue. Let's hope that she can do her duty.

As for little Catherine... given her French properties, and the fact that Albany died in the mid-1530s IOTL, it's quite likely that the little Comtesse de Boulogne will end up an orphan, and probably a ward of King François, as she will likely be underage when Albany dies. If she were residing in Scotland, then perhaps a match with another branch of the Stewarts might be prudent, but François might wish to have some say where she marries on account of her maternal inheritance. She'll likely marry a French nobleman.

Seton is definitely happy they're returning to Scotland; that leaves Georges de Boullan far away in France, though perhaps Seton and Georges had more in common than they thought... Lord Seton did attend one of Georges feasts on the night that Alexander IV and Charlotte got married.

The French court is definitely... vibrant. ;) Beatriz has had a spate of bad luck, but I do promise that she'll have better things coming towards her. François does have two sons, the Dauphin and the Duc d'Orléans. His middle son by Claude died in 1529, so he does still have an heir and a spare, but another son certainly wouldn't hurt given how quickly young princes can drop dead in the sixteenth century. Beatriz is certainly trying to do her part, but it isn't easy for her.

As for Anne Boleyn's family: Mary, or Marie de Boullan was one of the first to be rewarded with Anne's upward rise; Anne arranged for her marriage to a French nobleman, the Jean du Tillet, the Sieur de La Bussière: a clerk in the Paris Parlement who is a royal archivist and historian. Not a brilliant match, but Marie is happy enough, and has a prosperous life in Paris, where likely has a large circle of friends and associates; they probably have a few children. As for Anne's parents: Thomas Boleyn's career sort of stuttered following the death of Henry VIII, though Catherine employed him for a lengthy period in the Low Countries. His career stagnated long before Anne became François mistress, but once she did, any hopes of him continuing in his career dissipated. He's retired to Hever, where he tends to his estate. François also gave Thomas Boleyn the Order of Saint Michael, but everyone knows why he was given it. Anne's mother, Elizabeth, lives quietly at Hever with her husband.

At this point I'm wondering how far Anne Boleyn can rise before her star begins to fall...
She's riding high at this point, and she's even given King François a son. I'd say her star has much higher to go from here. François, despite his libido, seemed fairly constant whenever he an official recognized mistress. That's not to say that she couldn't come tumbling back down!

Great chapter, I really enjoy Alexander in his attempts to better improve Scotland and royal power while still having to do "his kingly duties" with his wife while being around his true loves, hopefully he can at least give Scotland some much needed heirs least a succession crisis occur.

Also poor Beatriz, even beyond the pain from three child deaths by now she has to deal with her husband flaunting his mistress and his bastards, hoping she can get a W soon enough.
Thank you, Kurd! Alexander IV is definitely going to be an interesting character, and his marriage will be quite interesting as well. He enjoys Charlotte's company, though perhaps not carnally. Hopefully he can be given a proper nudge in the right direction so that he can replenish the royal line.

Beatriz has had some awful luck, and being Queen of France hasn't proved that it's all it's cracked up to be. I do promise that her life isn't all misery, and I do have some good things planned for her down the line: including a few surviving children.

I like Alexander but I hope he can think of Scotland and secure the succession.
Beatriz deserves better.
I am very hopeful that Alexander IV will do his duty in due course. It just may take him some time to get there.

Beatriz absolutely does, but unfortunately this is the life of 16th century princesses. Not all marriages were love matches or even cordial. Some marriages could be down right stifling and miserable. I do promise that Beatriz will eventually have some happier days.

Alexander needs to just lay back and think of scotland...or his preferred george of the moment

(side note what is it with these scottish kings and having boyfriends named george smh)
Very sound advice! Let's hope he follows it.

I ship it! Very nice descriptive prose throughout this update with Alexander’s lavish marriage and the feud between Anne and Beatriz reaching new heights.
Ha, thank you! Alexander and Lord Seton are certainly an interesting pair; let's hope Lord Seton doesn't get too big for his britches, lest he end up like Piers Gaveston... I do think, as far as royal favorites go, Seton is probably a little less grasping than most... that's not to say that he won't enjoy whatever rewards and riches come his way.

Nothing I've ever read has suggested that Mary wanted to give the crown matrimonial to Darnley. Perhaps in the early days of their marriage, but she was quickly disillusioned by him. For a time government documents had to bare both their signatures, but he preferred to hunt and neglect his duties. Things became so held up that it was devised that a stamp with the king's signature should be created and used, which he had no issue with. But by 1566 she had no intention of giving Darnley anything. She told the French ambassador 'bade them give him his due' when it was asked what arms should be on his shield, when he was given the Order of St. Michael, rather than the royal arms he might have enjoyed as King of Scotland. Plots to give Darnley the crown matrimonial in 1566 at Parliament came from the Protestant Lords, with an agreement that Darnley would pardon those who had been attained. This led to the bond that ended up with David Rizzio's murder.

But otherwise, I agree: Darnley was sort of a last ditch option for Mary. He also had potential claims to the English throne through his mother, and Mary receiving recognition of her rights was of paramount importance and greatly informed her foreign policy during her reign. Marrying Darnley and having a child who had claims to England on both sides of his family tree was a great boon for Mary.

But I agree. In this situation, there's no reason for the daughter of the Duke of Albany to be wed a Stewart cousin. She's being raised in France and has her mother's inheritance. She'll grow up more a Frenchwoman than a Scot, her position as potential heiress to the throne is more a curiosity than anything: Alexander IV is 20 in 1534, and Charlotte is 17-18. They have plenty of time to have children.

Last edited:
As for little Catherine... given her French properties, and the fact that Albany died in the mid-1530s IOTL, it's quite likely that the little Comtesse de Boulogne will end up an orphan, and probably a ward of King François, as she will likely be underage when Albany dies. If she were residing in Scotland, then perhaps a match with another branch of the Stewarts might be prudent, but François might wish to have some say where she marries on account of her maternal inheritance. She'll likely marry a French nobleman.
But I agree. In this situation, there's no reason for the daughter of the Duke of Albany to be wed a Stewart cousin. She's being raised in France and has her mother's inheritance. She'll grow up more a Frenchwoman than a Scot, her position as potential heiress to the throne is more a curiosity than anything: Alexander IV is 20 in 1534, and Charlotte is 17-18. They have plenty of time to have children.
Indeed, she likely won't become queen ttl. Given that Catherine de Medici isn't around ttl (iirc), Catherine of Albany could potentially fill her role and marry Francis I' second son, Louis? That would put the Auvergne territories into the royal domains

Nothing I've ever read has suggested that Mary wanted to give the crown matrimonial to Darnley. Perhaps in the early days of their marriage, but she was quickly disillusioned by him. For a time government documents had to bare both their signatures, but he preferred to hunt and neglect his duties. Things became so held up that it was devised that a stamp with the king's signature should be created and used, which he had no issue with. But by 1566 she had no intention of giving Darnley anything. She told the French ambassador 'bade them give him his due' when it was asked what arms should be on his shield, when he was given the Order of St. Michael, rather than the royal arms he might have enjoyed as King of Scotland. Plots to give Darnley the crown matrimonial in 1566 at Parliament came from the Protestant Lords, with an agreement that Darnley would pardon those who had been attained. This led to the bond that ended up with David Rizzio's murder.
I was talking about the early days of the marriage, when she named him King and gave him the Earldom of Ross and the Dukedom of Albany… I am pretty sure who also the Matrimonial Crown was in the card but Mary alone could not give it to him… Then she became quickly disillusioned with him and changed idea about the Crown matrimonial
But otherwise, I agree: Darnley was sort of a last ditch option for Mary. He also had potential claims to the English throne through his mother, and Mary receiving recognition of her rights was of paramount importance and greatly informed her foreign policy during her reign. Marrying Darnley and having a child who had claims to England on both sides of his family tree was a great boon for Mary.
He was in part a match oriented towards the English Crown but mostly a pure and simply love match (at least on Mary’s part)

Indeed, she likely won't become queen ttl. Given that Catherine de Medici isn't around ttl (iirc), Catherine of Albany could potentially fill her role and marry Francis I' second son, Louis? That would put the Auvergne territories into the royal domains
No Catherine de Medici here! Lorenzo and Madeleine de la Tour d'Auvergne only had one child, Lorenzo III (now Duke of Florence). It's certainly an idea to think about if there's no greater brides for the Duke of Orléans.

I am pretty sure Louis already has a fiancé, a Polish Princess if I recall.
The Treaty of Wawel provided a betrothal between the Duke of Orléans and Princess Anne of Poland. It was signed in 1526, so the Duke of Orléans was likely François second son at the time, Charles. He died in 1529. Louis could easily step into that betrothal however, though given Poland's poor performance in the previous war, François may seek an alliance elsewhere for his second son.

No Catherine de Medici here! Lorenzo and Madeleine de la Tour d'Auvergne only had one child, Lorenzo III (now Duke of Florence). It's certainly an idea to think about if there's no greater brides for the Duke of Orléans.
Well, isn’t she a pretty good catch for the Duke of Orléans? She’s both a wealthy landholder in France and connected to the Scottish royal family? (And currently only one or two heartbeats away from the Scottish throne) - Even a second born son of France could do a lot worse than her

Well, isn’t she a pretty good catch for the Duke of Orléans? She’s both a wealthy landholder in France and connected to the Scottish royal family? (And currently only one or two heartbeats away from the Scottish throne) - Even a second born son of France could do a lot worse than her
It's certainly not a bad match at all, and there are Dukes of Orléans who have certainly made much worse marriages (looking at you, Henri II with Catherine de Medici.... François exclaimed that Catherine had come to him 'stark naked' when Pope Clement died and her massive dowry wasn't paid).

It's certainly not a bad match at all, and there are Dukes of Orléans who have certainly made much worse marriages (looking at you, Henri II with Catherine de Medici.... François exclaimed that Catherine had come to him 'stark naked' when Pope Clement died and her massive dowry wasn't paid).
A shame too because Catherine was a very intelligent woman who did all she could to guide France well in OTL, in my TL I'll have her as someone with more relevance and she'll been seen as a mentor to her children and grandchildren

A shame too because Catherine was a very intelligent woman who did all she could to guide France well in OTL, in my TL I'll have her as someone with more relevance and she'll been seen as a mentor to her children and grandchildren
Oh yes, absolutely. I agree that she did the best in a very difficult situation! My insinuation was more that at the time of the marriage it was seen as a complete mésalliance, given the Medici were still viewed as merchants and bankers; combined with the non-payment of the large dowry that was promised, it became a total disaster.

IATL, the Duke of Orléans could do a lot worse than Catherine Stewart / Stuart.

Chapter 20. Dawn of the Marian Age
Chapter 20. Dawn of the Marian Age
1527-1532; England

“Flora extending the sensible odors
Of every flower the famous property
Regard the rose with ruby colors
With the pomegranate of pure progeny
Behold the fruit most like the deity
Of noble daughter in dignity.”
— William Newman, the Redolent Pryncesse.

Music Accompaniment: Queine of Ingland's Pavan & Gallyard

350px-Catherine_of_Aragon_%281485-1536%29.jpg

Catherine of Aragon, Queen Dowager & Regent of England, c. 1525.

The completion of negotiations for Queen Mary’s eventual marriage to Prince John of Denmark represented the last stages of Catherine’s regency. Mary, having inherited the English throne as a mere infant, was now rapidly growing into a young woman. Her mother’s regency would terminate upon her eighteenth birthday—December 31st, 1531—leaving only a few more years before Mary’s reign would begin. By 1528, Catherine of Aragon had served as Regent of England for over fifteen years—longer than her husband had ever reigned himself. Though Catherine’s government had suffered from her involvement in continental affairs, her focus in 1526 had returned to England. She desired not only to lay the groundwork for Mary to have a successful reign but hoped to ensure that she would have a successful marriage—and successful progeny, in due course.

Catherine had maintained the same Privy Council throughout her regency—having inherited her councilors from Henry VIII—some of them having even served the king’s late father, Henry VII. By the mid-1520s, many of these men were growing older and several even begged the queen for leave to retire. “The queen had been cautious in for the majority of her regency,” wrote one historian of the period. “The queen had been young, and the queen-regent needed guidance. When the alliance with the emperor proved fruitless, and the aged men of the council began to retire or die… Queen Catherine now had the means to shape the council in her image. The last years of her regency would be her most fruitful—she came into her own as regent and governor of the English realm and pursued the policies she thought most prudent.” One of the first to go was William Warham as Lord Chancellor in 1527—he was replaced with Bishop John Fisher, a noted opponent of the reform moment. Richard Foxe, as Lord Privy Seal, died in 1528—and was replaced by Sir Thomas More, while Henry Courtenay, the Marquess of Exeter succeeded Thomas Lovell as Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Under Fisher’s chancellorship, Catherine focused more on administrative and religious affairs. The growth of Luther’s reform movement in Germany had caused Catherine great unease—though she was an avowed Humanist and an admirer of Erasmus, she considered Luther someone else entirely. “A dangerous monk—with even more dangerous ideas,” Catherine wrote in a private letter to Margaret Pole. Luther’s ideas became known within England by the early 1520s and in 1526, an English translation of the New Testament was published by William Tyndale in Germany, where it was printed abroad and then smuggled into England—leading to a proliferation of Protestant ideas amongst the growing commercial classes. Both the queen regent and Bishop Fisher were gravely concerned by what they believed to be the spread of heretical ideas. Parliament was summoned in 1527—known as the Blessed Parliament by the supporters of the queen-regent, it gained an alternate name among supporters of the reformation: the Parliament of Flames. The session of the 1527 Parliament primarily dealt with passing the Heresy Act of 1527 which served to modernize the Heresy Acts of 1382, 1401, and 1414 by compiling them into a single act—as well as allowing punishments and sentences to be meted out to Lutherans, including burnings. The act also provided for the establishment of what would become known as the Central Heresy Court in London, which would become responsible for trying all cases of heresy within England and Wales and passing sentences upon those found guilty. The court would be headed by a tribunal of bishops. The court was empowered to do its job through court commissioners, who would be allowed into all English and Welsh parishes; their duties would be to collect information and interrogate suspected heretics—in effect building up a bureaucracy whose job would be to hunt down heretics. This represented a union of secular and ecclesiastical powers—working together.

350px-San_Juan_Fisher_Obispo_de_Rochester_y_M%C3%A1rtir.jpg

Bishop John Fisher; as Lord Chancellor, he prioritized the fight against heresy.

Other acts sought to reinvigorate the state of the Catholic Church in England. The Religious Houses Reorganization Act allowed for the dissolution of monasteries that were indebted and small (having less than twelve members) to fund educational and social foundations—Frideswide College at Oxford was founded through the Reorganization Act, as well as the St. Magdalene Hospital in London—one of England’s first hospitals dedicated to the treatment of venereal diseases. Catherine also sought to invite other religious orders into England, in hopes that monastic life—which had declined, might be regenerated. A group of Hieronymite nuns from the Order of Saint Jerome from Catherine’s native Spain were invited to create a priory near the village of Speldhurst in Kent, while the Servite Order was given land in Greatham in Durham. The Organization Act also laid out stipulations for new religious houses that might be founded by requiring that they have a mission within the community where they would be based: by dispensing charity or through good works, such as providing education or medical care. By requiring new religious endowments, even of contemplative orders to engage in practical and worthy causes, Catherine hoped that such religious houses might be integrated into the communities where they would settle—not only attracting donations that would allow them to become self-sufficient but also proving their worth and reducing the idleness of the monks and nuns by aiding the communities where they would reside. Catherine also sought Papal approval to change the crown’s rights to clerical revenues—hereto limited to extraordinary levies and subsidies. Pius IV, much like his successor Pius V made certain concessions to England which resulted in the Convocation Act. The Convocation Act would allow the crown to raise new revenue from new clerical sources by allowing taxation upon clerical tithes as well as clerical rents and income—with the caveat that all such taxes would be grants—and that they would need to be need approved by the Convocation of Canterbury or the Convocation of York by the clergy themselves.

Administrative reforms concerned Wales. Buckingham’s Rebellion in 1520 had spooked Queen Catherine as well as her council—and it was in 1526 that George Talbot and the Council of Wales recommended a program for Wales that would bind it closer to England. The resulting program would become the Laws in Wales Act which proclaimed that Wales was incorporated and united with the crown of England. This ended the Principality of Wales’s unique status within England; the English language and English law were imposed for the first time across the whole of Wales—with Wales being granted representation in Parliament. The Marcher Lordships were abolished as political units, with counties being created in Welsh territory—Monmouthshire, Brenockshire, Radnorshire, Montgomeryshire, and Denbighshire. Other lordships were annexed into already existing counties. Ireland had its issues—feuding had flared up between the Earls of Butler and Ormond in the 1520s, and Catherine attempted to bring peace between the feuding factions by appointing Henry Bouchier, the Earl of Essex as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland.

Meanwhile, Queen Mary continued to grow—and her role as queen became even more visible as she entered her later teenage years, even as she remained under the effective tutelage of her mother. Her education entered its final stages—with lessons of government transformed from erudite practices under Thomas More and her other tutors into more practical lessons. By the age of fifteen, Mary’s signature could be found on government papers and documents as a countersignature alongside her mother’s signature as regent. The young queen also began to attend meetings of the council—first incognito, and then in person. “Her Grace, despite her youth, took to the business of government easily,” one councilor wrote anonymously. “She is less indolent than the late king and prefers to manage things then and there. When things are brought before her, she reads each thing carefully—she does not sign blindly and asks the correct questions.” Nor was the young queen afraid to speak her mind—she was not afraid of offering her own opinion within these council meetings, even if she did not yet possess the necessary authority to sway anyone. All began to look less towards the mother—and more towards the daughter, who would quite soon be their sovereign in all aspects.

In 1529, Catherine and Mary departed on royal progress—the first Tudor progress since 1498, when Prince Arthur had toured Coventry. The tour lasted throughout the summer—Mary and her mother were hosted at Rockingham Castle in Northamptonshire. One courtier wrote, “The queen hunted daily with her ladies, stalking deer throughout the woods of Rockingham.” From Rockingham, the court visited Coventry, as well as Coughton Court in Warwickshire, where Sir George Throckmorton hosted the queen and her mother. “Sir Throckmorton spared no expense in the young queen’s visit,” Charles Blount wrote in his youthful journal. “The welcoming feast was held in the great halls—bedecked with the royal standard; there were piles and piles of food, from which we all ate heartily—capons with lemon, roasted beef with Lombard mustard; sturgeon and lamprey pies. Dessert was just as sumptuous—marchpane, doucet, and tarts of sundry flavors…” The royal progress ended as the summer of 1529 died down—with Catherine and Mary hosted at Dorney Court before the progress ended at Eltham Palace.

350px-Paul_Bril_-_Landscape_with_Roman_Ruins_-_WGA03189.jpg

Landscape with Roman Ruins, 16th Century.

As 1530 dawned, plans were put into motion to bring Mary’s future marriage to Prince John closer to fruition—with arrangements now set in motion for Prince John to come over to England to complete his education. While the marriage had lost its prime proponent following the death of Empress Mary in 1529, Charles V remained determined to honor his late wife’s wishes by finalizing the match. Prince John had a final interview with his uncle at Ghent, where the emperor offered his blessings as well as advice. “Always remember that you are a prince of our royal house—I send you to England as your aunt desired so that you will be a worthy husband to our cousin, Queen Mary—and so that you may be a king to aid her in the burdens of government.” Prince John soon left Ghent with a retinue that would accompany him to England—Johan von Weze, an imperial diplomat and his father’s former secretary would serve as his secretary, while a few young men were to accompany Prince John as companions—this included René of Nassau-Breda[1], Antoine de Perrenot de Granvelle, and Ascanio Arianiti—son of an Italian nobleman who had become attached to the Imperial cause—Prince Arianitto Cominato Arianiti. John and his suite soon departed for Antwerp, where they were met by Adolf of Burgundy, the Admiral of Burgundy. John’s flagship would be a warship, the Duke of Burgundy. Prince John then soon departed the Low Countries—to head towards England, his future home and kingdom.

The English court was expecting the arrival of Prince John and had decamped to Dover, where they took up residence in Dover Castle. “The queen was most agitated in those days before the prince’s arrival,” One of her ladies, Anne Parr wrote in her private arrival. “She had a most foul temper—made worse by a malaise which she was suffering from. On our first day at Dover, she complained of pain in her head and neck, as well as chills, and was forced to take to her bed. Within a few hours, she was delirious and burning hot. It was not the pox or any dreaded plague—it was the sweat.” Queen Mary, then sixteen was laid down with the Sweating Sickness—an English sickness known for its virulence and the fact that it carried off people quickly. An outbreak had occurred in 1526, but now it seemed that the disease had returned—striking at the heart of the court. The young queen, hale and hearty, was now struck down with a serious illness—the first of her reign. “I pray for her deliverance,” Catherine of Aragon wrote in a hurried letter to her foremost friend and confidante, Maria de Salinas. “I have been barred from her chambers on account of how quickly the sickness spreads… my confessor encourages me to put my faith in God, while the doctors do the best they can.” The queen’s malady put the queen-regent into despair—with one courtier writing “She could not eat or drink, nor did she sleep—she worried only about the queen; some believe that the sickness conjured up terrible memories of the queen’s first marriage—when she and Prince Arthur were both laid down with a terrible malady…” Though Mary’s care was at first managed by the doctors and apothecaries of the royal household, Catherine soon turned to a foreign doctor who offered his advice: João Rodrigues, a Portuguese surgeon practicing in London who was rumored in some circles to be a Marrano. With the queen regent’s consent, Rodrigues took over the young queen’s care, to the chagrin of the royal physicians. “He has forbidden us from bleeding her—and has rudely proclaimed that our physics and tonics are useless,” One royal apothecary wrote haughtily within his journals. “He has instead instructed the queen’s servants to keep the fire burning within her chambers at all hours and give her a remedy of his concoction. That the Queen of England should be served by such a man, we ought to say our prayers.” Mary lingered before life and death—her last rights were administered by her almoner, and she even drafted her last will—leaving precious jewels to her favorited ladies, while asking the council to bestow £10,000 upon her mother in reward for her services as regent. One final item concerned her successor: “As I am the sole heir of my father and lone Tudor in England,” Mary wrote wearily upon the parchment, her normally precise handwriting a wearied scratch. “There remains only one Tudor after me—and she shall be my successor and your queen—my aunt, Margaret. The crown shall pass to her—and in due course, my cousin the King of Scotland.”

The court waited with bated breath—awaiting the proclamation that their queen was gone. Mary lingered in a perilous condition for several days, but the sweat began to cease, and her fatigue began to fade. The queen had nearly died—but she had survived, to the jubilation of the court and as well as her mother. “She lives,” Catherine wrote tearfully to Maria de Salinas. “She lives and will continue to live.” João Rodrigues was rewarded for his role in the queen’s survival with a pension of £100. It was in this happiest of situations that news was brought to Dover of Prince John’s arrival—his ship had endured terrible weather while crossing the channel, and the ship had been blown off course. Instead of landing at Dover, John and his suite had instead landed at Margate and were expected at Dover by nightfall. In a hurry, the servants did their best to sweeten the castle and prepare for the arrival of their sovereign’s future husband—and their future king. The first meeting between Queen Mary and Prince John took place within the queen’s chamber because she was still recovering from her illness. “The queen received the prince within her privy chapter—with the queen-regent present as a chaperone,” one anonymous courtier wrote in a letter to their family about the meeting. “Despite the queen having just recently recovered, she looked every inch the sovereign—she wore a French hood trimmed with pearls, while her gown was made of silver cloth—with the bodice decorated with a brocade of flowers. The queen’s jewelry was simple—a pearl necklace and pearl earrings—with a girdle belt decorated with Tudor Roses that extended from around her waist down to the middle of her gown. Prince John was polite and quiet as he bowed before Mary to offer his obeisance. At twelve, he looked more like a younger brother paying honor to his older sister, rather than a bridegroom… but the queen accepted his speech with a polite smile before she bid him to rise…”

350px-Portrait_of_a_Young_Woman_MET_DP321072.jpg

Portrait of a Young Woman, believed to be Queen Mary, c. 1530.

Queen Mary was less impressed in private, lamenting to Anne Parr that: “They have sent me a boy to be my husband.” Still, many were impressed with the young prince—and Catherine of Aragon reminded her daughter that there would still be four years before the pair would marry: plenty of time for Prince John to grow into the man that he was meant to be. It was decided that given John’s relative youth and need to complete his education he would reside away from court—and was given Oldhall House[2] over to his use. Catherine of Aragon granted the wardship of Prince John to the Duke of Norfolk, who arranged for William Latimer, a priest and scholar in ancient Greek to tutor John in languages—primarily Greek, English, and Italian, while Stephen Gardinier, an archdeacon, was appointed to tutor John in English history and government. Prince John took to his studies—though Norfolk lamented in a letter to Catherine of Aragon that, “Though the prince takes to his lessons, I fear he is not as dutiful as we might have hoped—and Master Latimer has been forced to apply the birch more than I would have liked.” It was reported that John was often homesick; matters were made worse when news arrived in late 1531 that the prince’s father had been captured in Norway while trying to reclaim his throne. Promised safe conduct by King Frederick, Christian II soon found himself betrayed—and imprisoned at Sønderborg Castle in Denmark.

On December 31st, 1531, Queen Mary celebrated her eighteenth birthday. Her brush with death the previous year had been put behind her, and many remarked that she seemed as healthy as she had been previously. On the morning of her eighteenth birthday, a ceremony was held to commemorate the queen having attained the majority. In the great hall of Richmond Palace, a great dais had been erected upon which two thrones sat—one for the queen-regent, and one for the queen. Catherine of Aragon was dressed in a gown of black velvet, along with her robes of state and the crown she had worn to her coronation—while Mary was in a gown of white taffeta, with her hair loose. Before the assembled court, the ladies of Catherine’s chamber assisted the queen-regent in removing the symbols of her authority—her robes of state and her crown. Dressed now in her widow’s colors, her ladies replaced her crown with a widow’s cap of black velvet—along with a veil of translucent black silk. “Milords—it has been some eighteen years since I have carried the burdens of state; and eighteen years since the birth of my daughter, your queen.” Catherine began her farewell speech. “You see before you now a grown woman—I have raised her to the best of my ability, not just to be a good wife and good Catholic—but a great queen. Since her birth, she has belonged to this realm of England, and now she has attained her majority. She shall be your sovereign in name as well as deed. I am but an old woman now, and a widow of my husband—your dearly departed king. The burdens of government and this realm must be taken up by his daughter; you require a sovereign who possesses youth and vitalty, and the blood of this nation. Though it has been my greatest honor to serve you, I beg your leave to retire—whatever years God sees fit to grant me beyond this, I wish to spend in peace.” Many tears were shed following the queen regent’s speech—with cries of “God Save Queen Catherine!” ringing out throughout the hall. Though her popularity had suffered due to her close association with the emperor, her popularity had rebounded in the final years of her regency; and though the people were happy to see Queen Mary take her rightful place, they knew that good government had been provided in her youth—and the years of Catherine’s regency had been relatively prosperous.

With Catherine’s symbols of authority removed, Queen Mary’s were soon placed upon her—with the roles being reversed. Catherine of Aragon, formally Regent of England, and the authority within the realm was now merely the Queen Dowager—all authority now rested in the hands of Queen Mary as Queen of England—England’s first. Mary soon gave her speech: “I know that I have come to this throne young—younger than most, and now I attain my majority at eighteen when most princes are content to sit at their father’s feet. This is not a luxury that I possess; and though the title of king is a glorious one that people might yearn for, I promise you, good people of England, that I shall strive to ensure that the title of queen is as glorious as well. As your sovereign I promise to serve you honestly and justly and provide what this kingdom and its people should desire for as long as I am called to reign over it—just as Mary was the Mother of God, so I shall always be the Mother of England.”

[1]As Prince Philibert of Châlon is still alive, René bare his original name here.

[2]OTL Hunsdon House

Last edited: