No Terror of Justinian - Glory Instead! (The Roman Emperor Who Lost His Nose - A TL of Justinian II)

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
Glad to see the story back, Sargon!:)
Look forward to see how the situation in the Iberic Peninsula evolves!

Thankee Archangel. :)

Let's just say it's going to be busy over there. With the scheming Julian around, life's bound to be interesting in that part of the world at the moment. ;)

Sargon

The many good things today seem to indicate a good year to come.

This update was everything we could have hoped for. You have touched I believe on every PoV.

The War Between the Caliphate and the Empire has begun with an Iperial Victory in the Straits of Hercules. I call it a victory as it sounds like the Imperials took far fewer losses in the battle and storm.

The War in the Far West seems to favor the Empire at the moment:

1. Roman-Roderic alliance has halted the advance of Julian-Moorish Alliance and raised morale among Roderics men. While the Rebels and invaders are far from beaten with Julian gathering allies and Muslim reinforcements landing, the Caliphate Fleet lost nearly half the troops before landing. News of this storm and these losses could be used by Roderic and the Romans as Divine Providence, also Tariq has fewer men to work with and reinforcements beyond this fllet will be a long time arriving.

2. The Romans have landed the bulk of their forces in Africa. Septum may yet rise in revolt and faces a siege after the regio has been used to marshal an army that is now in Spain. If Septum falls to the Romans, along wih the maitenance of the their fleet there it will greatly hinder Tariqs ability to recieve aid from the Caliphate.

Elsewhere the war is less certain. The Enmpire has been reinvigorated by the Justinian's reign and a series of successsful campaigns. They are also in a position to make very effective use of their naval power against the Caliphates land power.

However the Caliph is no fool and while not of as martial bent as Justinian II he is making smart mives. The Caliphates disadvantage is its size and that they are currently fihghting watrs in the East. It seems they may underestimate the Romans and be prepared to fight the last war. For instance the Iberian campaign is in trouble when they expected a relartively easy cictory, and Justinian is going on the offensive further complicating the situation.

Both nations are great and at this point I think outside Iberia it is anyones game with leadership and field decisions being the deciding factor.

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
The many good things today seem to indicate a good year to come.

This update was everything we could have hoped for. You have touched I believe on every PoV.

The War Between the Caliphate and the Empire has begun with an Iperial Victory in the Straits of Hercules. I call it a victory as it sounds like the Imperials took far fewer losses in the battle and storm.

The War in the Far West seems to favor the Empire at the moment:

1. Roman-Roderic alliance has halted the advance of Julian-Moorish Alliance and raised morale among Roderics men. While the Rebels and invaders are far from beaten with Julian gathering allies and Muslim reinforcements landing, the Caliphate Fleet lost nearly half the troops before landing. News of this storm and these losses could be used by Roderic and the Romans as Divine Providence, also Tariq has fewer men to work with and reinforcements beyond this fllet will be a long time arriving.

2. The Romans have landed the bulk of their forces in Africa. Septum may yet rise in revolt and faces a siege after the regio has been used to marshal an army that is now in Spain. If Septum falls to the Romans, along wih the maitenance of the their fleet there it will greatly hinder Tariqs ability to recieve aid from the Caliphate.

Elsewhere the war is less certain. The Enmpire has been reinvigorated by the Justinian's reign and a series of successsful campaigns. They are also in a position to make very effective use of their naval power against the Caliphates land power.

However the Caliph is no fool and while not of as martial bent as Justinian II he is making smart mives. The Caliphates disadvantage is its size and that they are currently fihghting watrs in the East. It seems they may underestimate the Romans and be prepared to fight the last war. For instance the Iberian campaign is in trouble when they expected a relartively easy cictory, and Justinian is going on the offensive further complicating the situation.

Both nations are great and at this point I think outside Iberia it is anyones game with leadership and field decisions being the deciding factor.

Thankee most kindly for your detailed response there Herr Frage old chap. Very much appreciated. :)

Things are certainly heating up in Spain, but things are not over there yet. You are right that Musa's losses will have an effect on morale, but sometimes desperation can be dangerous. It'll take time for reinforcements, if any to arrive, and Musa knows this, despite wanting to send his fleet back to gather more. Even if the fleet arrives back safely, there are not many troops to collect. At least not yet. And even if there are, they may perhaps be needed elsewhere.

The Romans haven't actually landed their forces in Africa yet, but your postulation is indeed sound. As long as nothing goes wrong that is.

The Roman Empire is indeed in a good position to use their navy and army against the Caliphate, but don't forget the Caliph's extensive and historically effective reforms of his own army and navy. However the Romans appear to have a strategic advantage at the moment. ;)

The size of the Caliphate is a problem in terms of transference of forces it is true. However, at least the Caliph (and the Romans) are well served with fairly rapid relay networks of communications for their time. Speed and accuracy of those communications are critical as well as the movement of forces.

But as you say, it is anyone's game, and down to the men and commanders on the field when the battles come. As well as the fickleness of fate and mother nature.

Sargon

AH.com Story Wiki Link Reminder

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
Just a reminder that this TL has its own entry in the wiki which people can feel free to add to and update, especially as I don't always have the time or ability to do so.

Please make any additions, corrections and edits you feel would benefit it. Cheers. :)

Sargon

Last edited:

mrhistory

Donor
One of my favorites as well...

A very well written what-if. Although those folks who post to this site with more list oriented timelines certainly do a good job, I prefer those like yours that tell a story and develop characters. Keep up the good work and more please!

Reason for Hiatus

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
Thanks very much for the support and comments everyone. they ARE deeply appreciated. :) I'm just really sorry not to be able to deliver upon any requests right now and I know that's disappointing. I am not sure WHEN there will be an update, although there WILL be one eventually.

As a matter of fact ALL my works are on hiatus until further notice. This post may help explain things further.

Once again apologies and I very humbly beg for your patience at this time. ;)

Sargon

Last edited:
Hi. I've just read the TL and it's one of the best I've read (Although there isn't really much competition as I've only read 4, so far :D). It's going to be really interesting to see how this one develops. The whole history of Iberia is going to be changed big time if the Muslims can't conquer it.

Guys

Hopefully someday here but Sargon has restarted this TL and a couple of others at http://www.counter-factual.net/upload/index.php. Its a fairly small version of AH so if you want to pop over and have a look his threads would be fairly easy to find.

He's still a bit behind where he was here but catching up fairly fast so hopefully we will soon be in new territory in the TL.

Steve

I visited the other site but it looks like he only caught up to where this thread is and then stopped. This is one of the best timelines on the site, award-winning even, so I'm definitely subscribed and awaiting any further updates.

Sargon, any plans to restart / recommence this TL?

Bumpity bump bump.

This is truly excelent timeline. Expertly written and in completely fresh time and setting. Never seen a timeline where Romans, Caliphate and Visigoths are duking it out around pillars of Hercules.

I hope author recovers and continues this, however slim this hope might be.