A marriage between Mary and one of king Manuel’s younger sons would likely be best if you don’t want to go with a Stewart match (In my eyes the most sensible match since it neutralizes the Northern border, but I suppose you could make the argument that the Scots are viewed with deep suspicion, especially after Flodden). Portugal is an old ally, so viewed with less suspicion than other foreign matches, is a very wealthy kingdom, any of Manuel’s sons are Cat’s nephews through her sister, another Mary, and though they’re Habsburg adjacent, like England will likely be, there’s still room for flexibility with a Portugal match which means that England and Portugal won’t just be the emperor’s lapdogs. The ones likely considered are all also fitting agewise

Alternatively, the English might prefer a domestic match. If Mary sr ends up with Brandon as otl, their son might work well, although some Englishmen likely will be furious at Brandon’s upstart success. Their son would be the only one besides James V to also have Tudor blood though. The son of the Duke of Buckingham or Henry Courtenay could work well despite the age gap, but if you want a less extreme gap then maybe Henry Grey or Thomas Pole could work. Thomas has prominent Plantagenet ancestry as well and it’d be Margaret Pole’s ultimate vengeance hahah. Alternatively, if the Howards play their cards right, maybe Henry Howard could work. If you want absolute irony, have Queen Mary go all Tudor and make her elope with George Boleyn, although that might be a bit of a stretch. Edward Stanley, step-great grandson of Maggie Beaufort might be an option too
Yes, I think a Portugal marriage might be sensible given their connections to the old Spanish royal house. Catherine would certainly support that. England also has close ties to Portugal, and they're theoretically aligned through the 1386 treaty. There haven't been any Anglo-Portuguese marriages in over a century, so definitely something to look into. Given Portugal's financial resources in this period, I'm sure they'd be willing to pay a vast inducement to see one of their one their own (Louis, the Duke of Beja, perhaps?) become King of England.

I know Scotland is probably a likely match: it was encouraged IOTL, as well. I think it primarily depends on how things play out in Scotland. If Margaret retains the regency, then Scotland will probably have a more pro-English foreign policy. A betrothal would probably be encouraged. If Margaret chooses to remarry as she did IOTL, and loses the Regency to the Duke of Albany, then Scotland will likely continue to pursue a pro-French foreign policy. The Treaty of Rouen in 1517 that upheld the Auld Alliance was dependent on James V marrying a French princess. I think it's very likely that James V and young Mary will be betrothed. Whether it's carried out is another story entirely.

There is something to be said about a domestic match, too. If only to neutralize a possible threat which IMO would be the Duke of Buckingham above all others. I know that Catherine was also very fond of Margaret Pole, so any of her sons might be considered too. Given where the Tudor dynasty lies now with no male heir, reconnecting themselves to one of the older royal lines isn't a terrible idea. As for the Boleyns... I do have an idea for one of them, who will be making a brief cameo in the next chapter. ;)

Yes, I think a Portugal marriage might be sensible given their connections to the old Spanish royal house. Catherine would certainly support that. England also has close ties to Portugal, and they're theoretically aligned through the 1386 treaty. There haven't been any Anglo-Portuguese marriages in over a century, so definitely something to look into. Given Portugal's financial resources in this period, I'm sure they'd be willing to pay a vast inducement to see one of their one their own (Louis, the Duke of Beja, perhaps?) become King of England.
I was actually considering Henry, otl cardinal-king, if only because he’s most fitting agewise and because his name works better as king of England. But Ferdinand or Louis works too
I know Scotland is probably a likely match: it was encouraged IOTL, as well. I think it primarily depends on how things play out in Scotland. If Margaret retains the regency, then Scotland will probably have a more pro-English foreign policy. A betrothal would probably be encouraged. If Margaret chooses to remarry as she did IOTL, and loses the Regency to the Duke of Albany, then Scotland will likely continue to pursue a pro-French foreign policy. The Treaty of Rouen in 1517 that upheld the Auld Alliance was dependent on James V marrying a French princess. I think it's very likely that James V and young Mary will be betrothed. Whether it's carried out is another story entirely.
Indeed. Maybe Scottish fears of being subsumed by England also cause it to fall through in the end?
There is something to be said about a domestic match, too. If only to neutralize a possible threat which IMO would be the Duke of Buckingham above all others. I know that Catherine was also very fond of Margaret Pole, so any of her sons might be considered too. Given where the Tudor dynasty lies now with no male heir, reconnecting themselves to one of the older royal lines isn't a terrible idea.
Exactly. They could tie themselves to the Staffords (who likely have the best Lancastrian claim), is an old and respected family and which would add the Stafford wealth and lands to the crown
As for the Boleyns... I do have an idea for one of them, who will be making a brief cameo in the next chapter. ;)
Very exciting!

I found this out of boredom but it seems interesting so... will keep an eye on this.

Speaking of Scotland, I'd rather if Mary isn't betrothed to James V... and cause I'd rather have an independent Scotland.

I found this out of boredom but it seems interesting so... will keep an eye on this.

Speaking of Scotland, I'd rather if Mary isn't betrothed to James V... and cause I'd rather have an independent Scotland.
Thank you! Glad to have you alone for the ride.

The more I ponder it, I think an early betrothal between Mary and James V is likely, but falls through for various reasons. It wasn’t uncommon for an heiress in this age to be betrothed in several different directions. The OTL Mary had various engagements in her youth, depending on Henry VIII’s foreign policy, for instance.

Henry VIII’s death and the lack of a French marriage for Princess Mary means that England is theoretically still involved in the War of the League of Cambrai, with funds being levied in the summer of 1514 for fresh troops to be raised in 1514-1515.

England will likely remain tied to that conflict until peace is made in 1516—I could see England and Scotland marking another perpetual peace with a betrothal of their young monarchs, only for it to fall apart.

The more I ponder it, I think an early betrothal between Mary and James V is likely, but falls through for various reasons. It wasn’t uncommon for an heiress in this age to be betrothed in several different directions. The OTL Mary had various engagements in her youth, depending on Henry VIII’s foreign policy, for instance.

Henry VIII’s death and the lack of a French marriage for Princess Mary means that England is theoretically still involved in the War of the League of Cambrai, with funds being levied in the summer of 1514 for fresh troops to be raised in 1514-1515.

England will likely remain tied to that conflict until peace is made in 1516—I could see England and Scotland marking another perpetual peace with a betrothal of their young monarchs, only for it to fall apart.
I do agree it would likely happen but as you said, it would dissolve before it happens/won't work out due to the late James IV's invasion so... yeah. Honestly I believe Margaret would attempt it many times until the Scottish court and nobles forces her give up or just gives up herself.

What about the possibility of Ferdinand Habsburg, brother of Charles V, marrying Mary?
That would work if for some reason the betrothal between Mary and Charles V falls through and he still marries Isabella of Portugal. And if Emperor Maximilian lives longer, he could wed Ferdinand's OTL wife, Anna Jagiellon, as a fourth wife.

Chapter 4. The Old King
Chapter 4. The Old King
1514-1515 – France

“I would rather my people smiled at my parsimony, than wept over it. That big boy will spoil all.”
– Louis XII, remarking on his frugal nature versus the extravagance of his heir, François of Angoulême

Music Accompaniment: La Brosse, basse danse pour violes

300px-Ludwig_XII._von_Frankreich.jpg

Louis XII, King of France (c. 1514).

The death of Henry VIII at Thérouanne had shattered English ambitions to conquer France—the English troops had retreated to Calais in tatters, leaving the small troop of imperial forces under Emperor Maximilian to hold the area. They too soon lifted the siege, and English attention became focused on Scotland following the invasion of James IV—which ended in tragedy at Flodden. Worse, the two deaths resulted in a stalemate: while the English had failed in seizing Thérouanne, the annihilation of the flower of Scotland’s nobility and their sovereign at Flodden prevented France and her allies from taking advantage of the confusion that had been wrought following the death of Henry VIII. Things only began to settle following the birth of England’s infant queen, Mary—and the assumption of the regency by her mother, Catherine of Aragon. England remained embroiled in the conflict against France, allied with both Spain and the Empire.

Not all within the English government were united in continuing the war against France—the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Bishop of Winchester both urged the queen-regent to act with caution; they had opposed Henry VIII’s aggressive foreign policy and had little desire to see the queen emulate it—though they realized that the queen would be unlikely to make peace given the death of the king. Others, such as Thomas Wolsey, now the Bishop of Lincoln were eager to chart a more pro-French course. A foreign policy that favored the French was an anathema to Queen Catherine—a Spaniard by blood, she believed Spain to be England’s natural friend—united against France. Some within the council suggested a possible peace treaty to be brokered with France through the marriage of the Princess Mary to Louis XII. Catherine could not countenance the idea of sacrificing her sister-in-law to an old man: the Princess Mary remained betrothed to Charles of Ghent, Catherine’s nephew and a future emperor and King of Spain—surely, he was the best match for her?

Instead of looking towards France for peace, Catherine instead chose to dispatch the Baron Darcy to Mechlen to revive the stalled marriage negotiations and bring them to a satisfactory conclusion. Diego Fernandez, Catherine’s trusted confessor, was also entrusted with private dispatches to be carried to her father, Ferdinand of Spain. Few within the French council were surprised at this turn of events, with the former French ambassador to England remarking to the king: “So long as that viper Ferdinand lives, you can be assured that the Queen Dowager will allow herself to be led by him… regent or not. She will be like clay within his hands. It is a sad day for France, and England, too, when the Spaniard reigns in England.”

Despite this, news from England did not overly worry the King of France, Louis XII—the death of Henry VIII on French soil only showed that God favored France. Though an old man, Louis XII remained determined to follow his aspirations in conquering those dominions in Italy that he believed to be his—Milan and Naples. Still, the French king was not without his private troubles: in early 1514, the king lost his wife, Anne of Brittany—who left behind not only two daughters, but the Duchy of Brittany. Anne attempted to leave Brittany to her youngest daughter, Renée—in a feeble attempt to ensure Brittany’s independence from France. Louis XII instead ignored his late wife’s will, and confirmed his eldest daughter, Claude, as the new Duchess of Brittany. Princess Claude, sickly and demure, was betrothed to her father’s heir—François of Angoulême, which all but ensured that Brittany would remain closely tied to France. Still, there was a part of Louis XII nourished wishes of a male heir, a son of his own to succeed him to the throne of France.

Louis XII belonged to an older class of monarchs—coming of age alongside Ferdinand of Aragon and Emperor Maximilian, he was as wily and duplicitous as the two of them. Even while war was waged all around them, Louis XII dispatched a secret envoy to the Habsburg court at Mechlen—seeking a truce and the hand of the emperor’s granddaughter, Eleanor. Louis XII believed it a prudent match—not only could he potentially remove imperial troops from the field and keep them from assisting England, but even more important than that was Eleanor: belonging a fertile family, Louis XII had hopes that she might be able to succeed where his previous queen had failed… in providing him with a true male heir of his own line. If the English were not eager for peace, then so be it! The marriage offer was passed discreetly to the imperial side, with the French envoy meeting first with Maximilian’s daughter, Margaret—who served as regent for her nephew and governor of the Low Countries.

Queen_Eleanor_of_Austria,_1516,_by_Jan_Gossaert_(c._1478-1532)_-_IMG_7431.JPG

Princess Eleanor of Austria.
“Sieur du Bassac has recently arrived from the French court,” Margaret wrote to her father in a letter. “He is an older gentleman, a middling sort of man who hails from Angoumois. He is a definite flatterer and paid the most absurd compliments to both you and me. He bore secret letters from his master and bid that we might discuss them privately… the King of France proposes a truce between our two lands, to be bound by ties of blood. What came next—I shudder to even place it into words, for he truly and surely made an offer for the hand of the Princess Eleanor for the old king. A young woman to wed a man of fifty… it is too much to comprehend.”

Emperor Maximilian viewed the proposal differently, seeing it as another way of augmenting the glory of his family. A truce and a dowry were a small price to pay to see his granddaughter as Queen of France, and to keep his troops from the field—giving him the needed time to regroup his forces and raise fresh funds. There was no need for the truce to be maintained for long; Maximilian was also presently in negotiations with the Baron Darcy from England regarding bringing his grandson’s betrothal to the Princess Mary to a satisfactory conclusion—a match also worth pursuing, given her position as England’s potential heiress should something befall England’s little queen. More than that, there was a chance that Eleanor could succeed where the French king’s other wives had failed—in providing him with a son. Maximilian believed there was little chance of Louis begetting an heir at this late stage and surviving to the child’s majority. Would not a regent and a child-king with Habsburg blood be preferrable to that young braggart, François of Angoulême? The emperor believed so. It was a noble sacrifice for Eleanor to undertake—and Maximilian was prepared to ensure that she understood, too.

Despite reservations from Margaret and even a protestation from Charles regarding the marriage of his sister, the emperor was determined to follow the course, dispatching commissioners to France in great haste and secrecy to bring about a treaty with France. It was in August of 1514 that the Treaty of Blois was ratified, with Princess Eleanor formally engaged to Louis XII. Maximilian pledged a dowry of 200,000 ducats to be paid in four installments, and with a quarter of the dowry to be made up of jewels and plate that would accompany Eleanor to France. Both Maximilian and Louis XII agreed to a truce that would last for a year, to be renewed at the end of that timeframe should both sovereigns desire it. The French king also promised the emperor a yearly pension of 30,000₶ as a further inducement to maintain the peace. For the cash-strapped emperor, the crushing dowry was but a small price to pay for peace and a pension—he sought help from the Fugger banking family in raising the necessary funds to pay for the first installment as well as to prepare Eleanor’s bridal trousseau.

Eleanor’s bridal suite was headed by the Charles de Croÿ, the Prince of Chimay—the princess was also to be accompanied by a suite of ladies, including Elisabeth of Culemborg as her governess, and four younger maids of honor—one of her maids of honor included a young Englishwoman, Anne Boleyn, who had served for some time within the household of Eleanor’s aunt, Margaret. Eleanor and her suite crossed the border in October, where they met Louis XII and the French court at Amiens. The royal marriage was duly solemnized at the Cathedral of Amiens, with the royal couple spending their first night together at the Bishop of Amiens’ Palace. Orlando de Dorsan, an Italian memoirist attended the bedding ceremony and later wrote, “The king and queen were granted use of the bishop’s bedchamber on account of their visit. The king, though notorious for his frugality, had spared no expense in wooing his young bride… he commissioned a fine new featherbed, as well silk hangings to decorate the canopy. The queen was a tiny figure, dressed only in her night clothes… like a child still in her leading strings, she was guided entirely by her governess, Mme. Culemborg, who assisted in putting her to bed. The king required his own assistance, owing to his lameness, but seemed perfectly content once he had joined the queen in bed. The pair shared a cup of wine, and the Bishop of Amiens solemnized the bed… extorting the king and queen to be fruitful and multiply. All hopes rested upon this night, though not all were pleased—Mme. Louise, mother to François of Angoulême, was noticeably piqued and glowered throughout the entire ceremony.”

Despite the enmity between the royal houses of Habsburg and Valois, Louis XII was utterly taken with his new bride. Eleanor, demure and meek, was so unlike Anne of Brittany; her youth did her many favors, as well. The new queen made her joyous entry into Paris in October of 1514, was crowned queen a month later at Saint-Denis. Louis XII decided that the French court would remain in Paris through the autumn and winter. Utterly besotted with his new bride, he lavished her in gifts and jewels—he was quite lucky that his new bride was not capricious; Eleanor’s sole request of the king was that she might be granted a small sum from her personal funds to found a convent in Paris for the Sisters of the Annunciation, a religious order which had been founded by the king’s first wife—Joan of Valois. While Louis XII was utterly captivated, the queen’s feelings were more mixed, with Elisabeth of Culemborg writing back to Margaret: “We are staying now at the Hôtel des Tournelles. It is a drafty place, but they say we shall go to Blois in the spring. The queen is adjusting. The king lavishes his attention upon her, and they often have dinner together within her chamber. Afterwards they will simply sit together, hand in hand, while the old king lavishes compliments upon her. My heart, my darling! He goes on and on. It is only when he is gone that she will retreat into her private closet. There she simply sits at her prie-dieu and weeps. Such a fate for a young princess!”

Though the king was diligent in his duties as a husband, there seemed to be no sign of a child—and the frequent excursions into the bedchamber worsened the king’s already perilous health. In late December of 1514, the king suffered a severe attack of gout that forced him to take his bed. While the royal doctors did their best to minister to their royal patient, it became clear in the early morning of January 1st that the king was not long for this world—by the evening of the first day of 1515, Louis XII was dead, leaving Eleanor, who had been queen for eighty-two days, a widow. Taking up the white mourning that was so customary of the queens of France, Eleanor soon decamped for the Hôtel de Cluny, where she would reside in seclusion for forty days.

So began the reign of François the first.

Last edited:
Damn, no son for Eleanor and Louis. Louise of Savoy must be grinning like the Cheshire cat now
She is definitely very happy. But then again, she was told long ago that Francis would be king, so perhaps part of her is vindicated too.

Aww, I really hoped that Eleanor would triumph and go on to become regent for a son. 😮‍💨
It was a tempting route to go, but I do promise there will be some fun changes occurring in France, too.

Very interesting timeline. Look forward to see where it goes

I assume this means Eleanor isn't pregnant.
You are correct. With Louis dead, the Treaty of Blois isn't worth the paper it's written on. Francis will probably look to reassert his claims to Milan, which Maximilian will never allow. This will put Eleanor in a very awkward position.

Chapter 5. War of the League of Cambrai
Chapter 5. War of the League of Cambrai
1515-1516 – Italy.

J'ai vaincu ceux que César seul a vaincus.
— Medal struck in honor of the French victory at Marignano.

Music Accompaniment: La Départ du Roy pour la conquête du Milanois

300px-Jean_Clouet_-_Portrait_de_Fran%C3%A7ois_Ier_%281494-1547%29%2C_roi_de_France_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

King François of France, c. 1515.

Despite the death of Henry VIII and James IV of Scotland, the War of the League of Cambrai continued unabated fueled primarily by French and Spanish ambitions centered on Italy and Milan. The last phase of the war would include all the major players—France, Spain, the Empire, and England, too. The war had entered a lull after 1513—Spanish and Imperial forces had secured a major victory at La Motta over the Venetians, and Maximilian Sforza had been restored to the Duchy of Milan, while Papal troops had succeeded in ousting the French from Tuscany—Pope Leo X, a member of the Medici family, had succeeded Julius II as Pope in 1513. After his seizure of Florence, he named his nephew Guiliano as ruler of Florence. England had pulled its forces back to Calais following the death of Henry VIII, while the defeat and death of James IV at Flodden Field had removed Scotland from the conflict wholly. The marriage of Eleanor of Austria to Louis XII came with a truce and hopes of a possible peace treaty, but the king’s death less than three months following his marriage dashed all hopes.

Louis XII was succeeded as king by François of Angoulême—his nearest male heir, who had also been married to Louis’ eldest daughter, Claude. François was everything that Louis was not, and with the throne firmly within his grasp, he was prepared to take what he believed was his. At his coronation at Reims on January 25th, François was not only crowned King of France, but also laid claim to the Duchy of Milan by virtue of descent from his great-grandmother, Valentina Visconti. “The new king belonged to the race of Gallic warriors,” Wrote an anonymous historian of the period. “Full of youth and vigor, he everything that the old king was not—and he was prepared take all that his predecessor failed to claim. It was his birthright.” The new king was heavily supported by his mother, the crafty Louise of Savoy—she had been told shortly following the birth of her son that he would one day be king. With his coronation, she was vindicated—and knew that his destiny would include going forth into Italy.

The increasingly bellicose behavior from the King of France aroused trepidation among those aligned against him. Emperor Maximilian was the first to learn of François' perfidy, when the young king withheld the first ever payment of Maximilian’s pension—claiming that it could not be paid out due to matters of economy. It was then that Maximilian realized that his luck with France had run dry. Though Maximilian felt himself cheated, he had not behaved honestly either—the emperor having only paid the first installment of Eleanor’s dowry. The remainder had been kept back for the emperor’s incessant financial needs. He now claimed the return of what had been paid and dispersed what remained of the funds he had retained towards equipping an army to face the French threat in Italy. Now was the time to stand strong against the French threat—and Maximilian knew that he would need the help of England.

Negotiations between the English and Habsburg courts for the marriage of Princess Mary to Prince Charles had continued throughout 1514, but the death of Louis XII meant the need for a swift conclusion. In February of 1515, Charles finally attained his majority as Duke of Burgundy and Count of Flanders and the various other entities that made up the Habsburg inheritance in the Lowlands. The Treaty of Greenwich was signed in March of 1515 to finalize the marriage agreement between Princess Mary and Charles—Catherine of Aragon pledged a dowry of £200,000, with £50,000 to be paid immediately. The marriage would take place in a year—all were happy, except for Princess Mary, who wept bitterly and raged against the news. When Catherine attempted to console her sister-in-law by speaking of her own experiences as a young princess marrying abroad, the princess could only retort: “Yes, madam—but you came to England. I am being asked to leave it.” Joan Vauxhall, Princess Mary’s former governess, wrote to a friend of hers: “The princess is in grave distress at the news of impending marriage—all the court knows of her love for Charles Brandon. Queen Catherine is adamant that the match go forward—she believes it her duty to ensure the princess is properly married, believing it is what King Henry would’ve desired. She invokes his name constantly, and Charles Brandon has been sent away from court…” Some said that the queen-regent induced Brandon’s departure with a bribe of £3000—but whatever the reason, he was gone. Brandon’s life at court was finished.

300px-Barend_van_Orley_-_Portrait_of_Charles_V_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
360px-The_Magdalen,_National_Gallery,_London_(detail).jpg

Charles of Austria & Mary Tudor. Their marriage negotiations
were completed through the Treaty of Greenwich.

In Spain, news of Charles’ impending marriage to the Princess Mary caused more alarm to Ferdinand of Aragon than French saber rattling. After all, what interest did he have in Milan? His possessions in Naples were safe—at least for now. The King of Aragon had not enjoyed the best health, and by 1515 he was in a great decline. His second wife, Germaine of Foix, had provided him no further issue since the birth and death of their son John, born in 1509. Old Ferdinand, once renowned for his virility and love affairs, was now reduced to impotence and often took potions and elixirs to assist him. His focus lay less on France than the possible succession of his crown and that of Castile. A cleric attached to the court wrote that, “Our king, if he does not rid himself of his appetites, will soon give his soul to the Creator and his body to the earth; he is already in his 63rd year of his life and does not allow his wife to separate from him and she is not enough for him, at least in his desire.”

England wasted little time following the ratification of the Treaty of Greenwich. Catherine, emboldened now as regent for her daughter, the infant queen, was prepared to do whatever she could to defend her daughter’s inheritance and to preserve the legacy left behind by Henry VIII. More than that, Catherine sought revenge for the tragedy at Thérouanne. Parliament had readily granted Catherine a subsidy in the summer of 1514, which went towards refitting the English army for a third sortie into France. A generous portion of her funds were also expended on the English navy to refit existing ships and outfit new ones. Henry Grace à Dieu, a great ship which Henry VIII had commissioned in 1512 was launched in 1514 and was officially one of the largest warships that had ever been built. English ships patrolled the English Channel to protect English shipping, while a new army of about 25,000 men under the Duke of Norfolk landed in Calais. English troops, rather than march inwards towards Thérouanne, instead moved towards Boulogne, which was put under siege.

By July, François had assembled an army in Dauphiné. A combined force of Papal and Swiss troops under Cardinal Matthäus Schiner and Prospero Colonna was sent north of Milan to garrison the alpine passes against the French. This put the French in a difficult position, owing to the number of artillery pieces that were accompanying the army. Gian Giacomo Trivulzio, a condottiero attached to the service of France offered a novel idea—instead of using the alpine passes, he suggested the army passing through the Col d’Argentière, a mountain pass that connected Lyon with Cuneo and had been recently paved. This advantage allowed the French troops launch a surprise attack upon the Papal forces at Villafranca; Jacques de La Palice led a daring charge that allowed him to capture the Papal commander, Prospero Colonna, with a great deal of booty—including six hundred horses being seized as well. The arrival of France into the plains of Piedmont caused great consternation amongst the Pope—with Spanish troops still south of Rome, he was prepared to parlay with François and offer up control of Milan to prevent the French from pressing further south. Though some Swiss were of the mind to make peace with France, the main contingent of the Swiss confederates, led by Cardinal Schiner retreated towards Milan for one last final stand.

marignan.png

King François leads the charge against the Swiss at Marignano.

The French took a leisurely pace following their victory at Villafranca. At the small village of Marignano, the French were unprepared for an attack by the Swiss—even François was taken unawares; he was in his tent trying on a new suit of armor when scouts announced the Swiss approach. The French army was quickly divided into three divisions; the vanguard was jointly commanded by the Duke of Bourbon and Trivulzio, while François led a force of cavalry and Landsknechts recruited from the Lowlands. The Duke of Alençon commanded the rearguard. The French army was a mix of pikemen, arquebuses, and cavalry—while the Swiss troops were mainly pikemen, with less than a dozen artillery pieces. At close to sunset, the Swiss approached the French with three divisions of their own comprised of their pikemen. A small contingent of Swiss troops broke from the vanguard rushed for the French artillery to seize it for their own use. The Swiss had some success as they pushed back the Landsknechts and captured a few artillery pieces. The slow pace of the Swiss advance as it pressed forward rendered the Swiss artillery fire ineffective. Cavalry commanded by the Duke of Bourbon from the right succeeded in pushing the small Swiss contingent back into the shelter of the Swiss vanguard. Bourbon’s cavalry surged forward but were soon forced to retreat almost a whole half mile after they suffered heavy losses, but the artillery was saved.

The battle continued throughout the night—cavalry charges, often led by the king with the Chevalier of Bayard at his side resulted in the French troops repulsing temporary Swiss gains on the field. Desperate fighting resulted in the death of several French commanders—Antoine, the Duke of Lorraine; his brother, Claude, the Count of Guise, and Charles, the Prince of Tallemont. French troops stood brave among the Swiss attempts to toss them aside, and by mid-morning Venetian troops under the command Bartolomeo d’Alviano arrived and allowed the French to put the Swiss to route. Bloodied, bruised, and broken—the Swiss had suffered some 10,000 casualties, while French losses amounted to some 5000. With his decisive victory, François was able to move onto Milan, which he captured on October 4th. Milan offered only a token resistance. Duke Maximilian Sforza was quickly imprisoned by French troops—and would be carried back to France as the king’s hostage, albeit in a comfortable state, with King François granting Sforza a pension of 30,000 ducats. France’s stunning victory at Marignano shocked Europe. François met with Pope Leo X at Bologna in December, where an agreement was reached. François claimed not only Milan, but also Parma and Piacenza, while the Duchy of Ferrara was rewarded with Modena. François also gave the Pope reassurances that he would not interfere in the Pope’s designs regarding the Duchy of Urbino. Further discussions involved the state of the church in France. France would also reach peace with the Swiss confederates in 1516, when the Treaty of Friborg was signed. Switzerland renounced their protectorate over the Duchy of Milan, with France agreeing to pay an indemnity of 2,100,000₶ in return. Both parties pledged to abstain from giving support to enemies of the other party, aside from pre-existing treaties, and that future disputes should be resolved through arbitration. The Swiss were also granted trading privileges at both Lyon and Milan.

Ferdinand of Aragon’s ill health continued to plague him throughout the winter of 1515. Spanish troops had made no further movements towards Milan after the news of Marignano broke, and soon took up their winter quarters, delaying any possible campaign until spring. Emperor Maximilian, with his own financial troubles, also saw himself limited in the months after Marignano—there would be no new campaigning until 1516, and the emperor had high hopes that he might be able to coordinate effectively with his allies in both England and Spain to check French ambition. The truth of the matter was different though—at this point, the war had been raging for nearly eight years, and there had been no real territorial changes—with François once more claiming Milan as his own, he had restored the borders that had existed at the beginning of the conflict in 1508. Any hopes of Spanish aid against France faded when Ferdinand of Aragon’s health took a drastic turn towards the end of January. Ferdinand realized that the end was near, but his mind remained clouded with the succession—and his desire to honor his grandson, Ferdinand, over his natural successor, Charles. Ferdinand had always intended to bequeath his namesake a crown in Italy, but the present situation prevented that. As such, he sought to give him honors in Spain. The first draft of his will promised the younger Ferdinand the regencies of Castile and Aragon, as well as control over the Orders of Alcántara, Calatrava, and Santiago—whose administration had been granted to Ferdinand of Aragon in 1499. The council strenuously objected to Ferdinand’s proposed will, arguing that it would turn the younger Ferdinand into a possible rival to the throne against Charles, and would risk plunging the two kingdoms into civil war—Ferdinand was thus forced to renounce his ambitions for his favorite grandson, with Cardinal Cisneros entrusted with the regency of Castile, while the Archbishop of Saragoza would serve as Regent of Aragon until Charles could assume authority over Spain. Ferdinand died shortly after his will was altered, at the hamlet of Madrigalejo on January 16th, 1516. As he lay dying, the King of Aragon’s final words were succinct: “Forgive me, Isabella… Because I wanted to break the promise that I made to you… but God in his great judgement has prevented me from doing so.”

muerte-de-fernando-de-aragon-rey.jpg

Death of Ferdinand of Aragon, 1516.

Ferdinand of Aragon was laid to rest in March of 1516, and Charles was proclaimed King of Castile and Aragon jointly with his mother, Joanna, who remained confined at Torsedillas. Charles made immediate plans to embark for Spain as soon as possible, which meant that any interest in continuing the war against France from the Spanish side immediately faded; Charles was much more concerned with ensuring his reign within his new kingdom. Plans were made for his embarkment to Spain as soon as possible… but first, Charles would travel to England by his aunt, where plans of his marriage to Princess Mary had been finalized. Charles arrived in England in the summer of 1516, where he was married to the Princess Mary in a splendid ceremony at Westminster Abbey on July 25th—the feast day of Saint James, the patron saint of Spain. English spirits were higher than ever, as news arrived shortly after the wedding that the city of Boulogne had fallen to the English troops.

Peace with France came through Charles—given the uncertain situation in Spain, he had little desire to war with France or expose the Low Countries to conflict before the crown was firmly upon his head. The fall of Boulogne also gave added impetus to France to make peace with both Spain and England to prevent a second front from opening in the north and the south. The Treaty of Noyon was signed in August of 1516—Spain recognized France’s claim to Milan, while France recognized Spanish control over Naples. England would be allowed to retain Boulogne, slightly expanding the Pale of Calais, with the option for France to redeem the town in ten years for a payment of £500,000. There only remained Emperor Maximilian—he attempted to lead another army in Lombardy, but failed to reach Milan and was forced to turn back. By autumn, he too turned to negotiations with the French, which led to the Treaty of Brussels in December—Maximilian not only recognized French control over Milan but was forced to recognize Venetian control over the remainder of Imperial possessions in Lombardy, except for Cremona, which was returned to the Duchy of Milan. England and Scotland reached their own agreement through the Treaty of Richmond which re-established the terms of the Perpetual Peace which had been signed in 1502, and agreed to a betrothal between the infant monarchs of England and Scotland. The War of the League of Cambrai had finally come to an end, almost eight years later—with neither side being victorious. It remained to see how long the fragile peace might hold.

Last edited:
Very interesting. Charles marries Mary ttl but still gets the Spanish inheritance. Hopefully they have two surviving sons so that Spain and Burgundy can be seperated

Very interesting. Charles marries Mary ttl but still gets the Spanish inheritance. Hopefully they have two surviving sons so that Spain and Burgundy can be seperated
Yes, although Mary definitely isn't too happy about it! But she will definitely have a lively life as Charles' consort, given his constant traveling. It will definitely be interesting to see where Mary herself will be based with his constant travel. I could definitely see her choosing to reside in the Lowlands, and aiding in the governance there. If so, that will require Charles to have a good lieutenant to look after his interests in Spain, especially given the Spaniards disinterest in him. Even having his children raised outside of Spain could make major changes, as it means another generation of "Flemish" princes and princesses.

Yes, although Mary definitely isn't too happy about it! But she will definitely have a lively life as Charles' consort, given his constant traveling. It will definitely be interesting to see where Mary herself will be based with his constant travel. I could definitely see her choosing to reside in the Lowlands, and aiding in the governance there. If so, that will require Charles to have a good lieutenant to look after his interests in Spain, especially given the Spaniards disinterest in him. Even having his children raised outside of Spain could make major changes, as it means another generation of "Flemish" princes and princesses.
The prince of asturias, at least, will have to be raised in spain; and i also think mary will at the very least have to go to spain for the birth of at least her first son, as the cortes will probably insist that the prince of asturias be born in spain

Realistically, Mary will have to stay in Spain for the next several years working hard both to win over the courts and raising her first child, otherwise a revolt is likely to occur at any moment and they will lose Spain.

How’d I go over a week without seeing this? Brilliant timeline! Can’t wait to see what happens next. Hopefully Katherine can defend her daughter’s inheritance from potential pretenders and Mary Tudor the Elder adjusts to Burgundy/Spain well.

Chapter 6. The Queen's Matter – The Tumult of Scotland
Chapter 6. The Queen’s Matter – The Tumult of Scotland
1513-1517 – Scotland.

Music Accompaniment: The Broom of Cowdenknowes

300px-Margaret_Tudor_-_Daniel_Mytens_-_1620-38.jpg

Margaret Tudor, Queen of Scots. (Posthumous Portrait, c. 1600s)

James IV’s death at Flodden Field had thrown Scotland into chaos. Aside from the death of the king, the flower of Scotland’s nobility had also been slaughtered in battle. James IV left behind an infant son who succeeded to the throne as James V. Both England and Scotland now had to contend with child monarchs and the long regencies that would ensue. This was not a unique situation for Scotland, as war and conflict over the last century had often deprived the House of Stewart of their kings—as such, child kings were no new surprise. Much like England, Scotland’s regency fell into the hands of Margaret Tudor, Queen Dowager of Scots, and wife of the late James IV. Despite her opposition to war with England, she was named as regent with a single stipulation: that she remain a widow. Months following the death of the king, Margaret soon realized that she was pregnant. In April 1514, she gave birth to a posthumous son who was named Alexander and given the title Duke of Ross.

The Scottish Parliament met at Stirling shortly after the death of James IV, where they confirmed Margaret in the office of regent. It was not uncommon for a mother to serve as regent to her son, but Margaret found herself in a difficult position, given her connection to England. All knew in what direction Margaret would want Scotland to look. It was not long before a pro-French party began to emerge, where some wished for the John Stewart, the Duke of Albany to assume the regency as the closest male relative of the king. In the early days of her regency, Margaret was eager to reassure the partisans of the Duke of Albany that she wished only what was best for Scotland—for a time, she managed to reconcile the two parties around the present war with England and the desire to make peace.

Though England and Scotland remained at war the next two years, the state of the Scottish army prevented any attempts at avenging Flodden Field. In May of 1515, the Duke of Albany arrived in Scotland—supported by a squadron of eight ships. He landed at Dumbarton, where he was greeted by Margaret and the Scottish court. Despite their distrust in one another, Margaret openly embraced the Duke of Albany and openly spoke to assembled courtiers: “Milords, here has returned to Scotland one of its finest princes—as he comes in peace, I bid him to accept my hand in friendship so that we can provide good governance to this fine realm. I could ask for no better counsellor.” While the pretty speech went down swimmingly, there were some assembled who believed that the queen might have other intentions: “The queen at this time was still a handsome woman in her first flush of youth. She flattered Albany with compliments, but the flutter of her eye told another story. She had been a widow now for nearly two years; few were surprised to see her amorous side reawaken in the presence the Duke of Albany, who was more French than Scottish.” Whatever the gossip was spoken, it was clear to many that there was a mutual attraction and magnetism between the duke and the queen dowager—perhaps fueled by their political rivalry. Albany was given a seat on the royal council, much to the chagrin of Margaret’s more fervent allies.

John_d'Albany.jpg

John Stewart, Duke of Albany. Margaret's rival for the Scottish regency.

In the winter of 1515, tragedy struck the Scottish royal family when a sickness ran rampant through the royal nursery. Both James V and his brother, Alexander, were struck down with a virulent fever. On December 15th, 1515, James V breathed his last at the tender age of three—making him one of the shortest-lived Scottish monarchs in history. He was immediately succeeded by his infant brother, Alexander, who became Alexander IV. Margaret was said to have been inconsolable at the loss of her son, and she debated resigning the regency to Albany. The Archbishop of Glasgow, James Beaton, counselled the queen dowager against making a hasty decision. Aside from the Archbishop, Margaret saw the Duke of Albany regularly in the aftermath of James V’s death. Few are sure when the relationship was consummated, but by the spring of 1516—Margaret Tudor and John Stewart were lovers. Margaret allowed herself to be overruled by her passions, and she was now involved in an illicit affair not only with one of her Scottish kinsmen, but her greatest political rival.

What happened next when the affair became public knowledge would be one of the greatest scandals in sixteenth century Scotland, known primarily as the Queen’s Matter. A riveting story of political infighting and intrigue—but at the heart of it, a tale of he-said-she-said. Margaret claimed that her relationship with the Duke of Albany was not simply a carnal affair. She alleged that she and the duke often discussed marriage—and that the pair had underwent a private betrothal ceremony. She insisted that the Duke of Albany sought to divorce his French wife, Anne de la Tour d’Auvergne so that he could marry her. Margaret was interrogated by the royal council and submitted love sonnets and numerous letters to back up her defense. However, there was no proof of their betrothal ceremony. Albany, for his part, did not deny that he had entered an amorous relationship with the Queen Dowager—but he refuted her claims of marriage, and angrily denied that he had betrothed himself to Margaret. He tossed dirt upon Margaret, submitting his own letters that painted the young, widowed queen as obsessive and sex crazed, with Albany claiming that the queen had seduced him. Albany even bribed some of the queen’s servants to testify before the council regarding irregular behavior, in hopes of further tarnishing her cause. “I firmly believe that Albany did propose to the queen’s majesty,” An anonymous supporter of the queen wrote. “But all know that Albany depends on France for their largesse—he is married to one of their daughters. He allowed himself to be seduced by the queen, and now he seeks to extricate himself from this situation to preserve the support of his patrons. And his wife!” Others saw a more sinister motive—that the Duke of Albany had contrived to seduce the queen dowager to ruin her reputation to oust her from the regency.

474px-Angelo_Bronzino_-_Garcia_de'_Medici_-_WGA3255.jpg

Portrait of Alexander IV of Scotland, c. 1517.

The royal council ultimately sided with the Duke of Albany. There was no love lost between them and Margaret, and the proof that Albany had supplied—manufactured or not—had swayed them. They ruled that no betrothal agreement had existed between the pair and laid the blame for the whole matter at the feet of Margaret. It was agreed that she was unfit to hold the regency, and that it must be passed to the Duke of Albany. Albany and the pro-French party were triumphant, and Margaret found her reputation in tatters; at first, she was confined to her chambers at Sterling Castle, with access to the young king limited. Later, the Duke of Albany arranged for Margaret to be held under close confinement at Dumbarton Castle, in a move to isolate her further. Negotiations with the English regarding the Treaty of Richmond saw some of the more stringent restrictions upon Margaret lifted, with it agreed that should be allowed to live on her dower property at Doune Castle—still under guard. It seemed quite clear that even the English, even if they were not sure of the truth of the matter, believed that Margaret had acted foolishly and irresponsibly in the matter where the Duke of Albany was concerned. The Treaty of Richmond brought peace between England and Scotland, with Queen Mary of England betrothed to King Alexander IV of Scotland. A perpetual peace was declared, albeit on uneasy terms—despite Albany signing the treaty, he was already looking back towards France.

With the regency safely in his grips, Albany prepared for a sojourn in France. There were his properties in France to look after, not to mention his wife. There was little reason for him to exercise the regency on the spot, when such difficult duties could be discharged to his loyal lieutenants—such as Antoine d’Arces, the Sieur de la Bastie who was named Warden of the Scottish Marches and made keeper of Dunbar Castle, as well as being given custody of the young king. Albany’s prime motive in returning to France was to ensure that Scotland’s relationship with France remained positive. His top concerns not only involved maintaining the Auld Alliance with France, but also to seek out the possibility of an alternate marriage for the young king. Like the fellow compatriots of his faction, he had little love for the English marriage, seeing what trouble the marriage of James IV to Margaret Tudor had wrought. On top of that, who was to say if the little queen of England might flourish or not? Such a marriage was not required to place the Stewarts into the line of succession—should little Mary perish; it was the Scottish king whom she was affianced too who would be her closest successor by blood. No, Scotland should to France, rather than to England, for its friends.

While Albany prepared to leave for France, those of the pro-English faction bided their time. When Albany was across the sea, they knew it would be their best chance to strike. They already had a ready figurehead—the disgraced queen dowager; her tragedy had become political—the pro-French Scots denounced her as a harlot, while the pro-English believed her cruelly maligned, her reputation tarnished in a poor attempt to turn her into Scotland’s Queen Joanna, that tortured woman who remained ensconced at Tordesillas. No, there was no reason for Margaret to suffer such a fate… and like her allies, she too would wait, biding her time at Doune until she was recalled to serve as regent for her son.

Last edited: