As far as the situation versus the Ottomans, France having a stake in Naples right next door the Ottomans is nice for the Hapsburgs in that the French now have more of a stake in keeping the Ottomans contained, especially with a French alliance with Hungary.
Funny enough this could strengthen the French Navy as having to keep the Barbary Pirates down as well as keeping the Ottomans contained to the Eastern Mediterranean would necessitate a powerful navy and quality sailors and the investments for such, an alt Lepanto could be interesting to see being led by the French instead of the Spanish, especially as Venice wasn't brutalized like OTL.

As far as the situation versus the Ottomans, France having a stake in Naples right next door the Ottomans is nice for the Hapsburgs in that the French now have more of a stake in keeping the Ottomans contained, especially with a French alliance with Hungary.
I can already see Francis and Louis in a couple of years launching themselves into a crusade where they will probably win, but end up dead leaving their kingdoms in a delicate situation with long regencies.

Funny enough this could strengthen the French Navy as having to keep the Barbary Pirates down as well as keeping the Ottomans contained to the Eastern Mediterranean would necessitate a powerful navy and quality sailors and the investments for such, an alt Lepanto could be interesting to see being led by the French instead of the Spanish, especially as Venice wasn't brutalized like OTL.
Yes, I imagine that the Flotte / Escadre de Levant will benefit from continued French interest in Italy. Good news for La Royale, as the French navy was called; assuming the Valois monarchy remains strong, there may be significant investments into the navy that OTL weren't received until the time of the Bourbon monarchy. Aside from the Venetians, they'll also be able to rely upon the Genoese Navy as well, which began to shift in this period towards a defensive / anti-barbary policy.

I can already see Francis and Louis in a couple of years launching themselves into a crusade where they will probably win, but end up dead leaving their kingdoms in a delicate situation with long regencies.
Ha! Well, it is definitely something to dream about. Francis probably wishes he had the revenues at his disposal that Suleiman did at this time (around $80 million in today's money, while François' revenues were about $1 million).

Yes, I imagine that the Flotte / Escadre de Levant will benefit from continued French interest in Italy. Good news for La Royale, as the French navy was called; assuming the Valois monarchy remains strong, there may be significant investments into the navy that OTL weren't received until the time of the Bourbon monarchy. Aside from the Venetians, they'll also be able to rely upon the Genoese Navy as well, which began to shift in this period towards a defensive / anti-barbary policy.
Honestly the Valois are doing pretty good rn: They humiliated Charles, secured Italy and the succession is stable with both King Francis and the Dauphin married, honestly while things could turn sour in the future(the Protestants come to mind mainly, especially the converted nobility who opposed centralization) the Good Times are lasting for the time being and it's up to Francis what he will do during the mean time

Honestly the Valois are doing pretty good rn: They humiliated Charles, secured Italy and the succession is stable with both King Francis and the Dauphin married, honestly while things could turn sour in the future(the Protestants come to mind mainly, especially the converted nobility who opposed centralization) the Good Times are lasting for the time being and it's up to Francis what he will do during the mean time
I mean, the French succession seemed pretty stable otl as well both during Francis’ reign and during Henri’s and yet the dynasty still died out before 1600

I mean, the French succession seemed pretty stable otl as well both during Francis’ reign and during Henri’s and yet the dynasty still died out before 1600
Tbh if the jousting incident hadn't happened the Valois most likely wouldn't have gone extinct in the first place, because in my view it was that incident that plunged France into chaos and complicated stuff that would've led into the death of the Valois

Tbh if the jousting incident hadn't happened the Valois most likely wouldn't have gone extinct in the first place, because in my view it was that incident that plunged France into chaos and complicated stuff that would've led into the death of the Valois
Without Henry II’s death Catherine would have never ruled France and Mary Stuart would remarry to Charles IX after the death of Francis

Terrific update to a terrific timeline! Lots of setbacks for Charles V, but at least he is consolidating direct control over the Low Countries and eliminating a lot of border gore up there. It's just Liège left now as a major technically independent entity in the region, right?

Terrific update to a terrific timeline! Lots of setbacks for Charles V, but at least he is consolidating direct control over the Low Countries and eliminating a lot of border gore up there. It's just Liège left now as a major technically independent entity in the region, right?
That and the Duchy of Guelders. The Duke of Guelders has been forced to accept Charles V as his heir, but this also happened IOTL, and the Habsburgs didn't gain effective control of Guelders until the 1540s, as Charles II of Guelders attempted to bequeath the Duchy elsewhere, which will probably happen here as well. Still, I don't think Charles V will have any issues gaining control of Guelders down the line. Liège will likely remain the sole exception, but given the small patch of territory they occupied, it's not a huge deal. Their policies were heavily influenced by the Burgundians and later the Habsburgs as it were.

Could that happen?!

I mean, I know marriages like that happened IOTL (Henry VIII and Catherine) but it almost seems impossible for Marie of Scots to marry Charles in my head.....
In OTL that not happened only because Catherine do not wanted it. With Henry II still alive that match is guaranteed

Chapter 20. Scotland's Interlude
Chapter 19. Scotland’s Interlude
1530-1534; France & Scotland

“My tender friends are all put to the flight;
For policy is fled again in France
My sister, Justice, almost has lost her sight
That joy cannot hold evenly the balance
Plain wrong is plain captain of ordinance
That which unsolid loyal and reason;
And small remedy is found for open treason.”
— Sir David Lindsay, The Dreme [1]

Music Accompaniment: Orchésographie: Pavane

[1] The original poem is in Scots. Translated to the best of my ability into English.

alexanderiv.jpg

Alexander IV, King of Scots; Painted c. 1533 during the king's French sojourn.

As Europe found peace through the Treaty of Longwy, Scotland had dealt with its issues. In 1523, the Duke of Albany had been ousted from the regency over King Alexander IV. Margaret Tudor, the king’s mother was able to resume the regency—with the aid of the Five Earls—the Earls of Arran, Argyll, Eglinton, Lennox, and Montrose, who assumed an important role in the government. Though Margaret Tudor had assumed the helm of the regency as Queen Dowager, her power was much constrained compared to her previous regency, with Arran effectively serving as the regent, albeit without the title or rank. The first acts of the regency concerned the person of the king, Alexander IV—liberated from Sterling, he was reunited with his mother, with the pair of them taking up residence at the Palace of Holyrood. “The young king had the dignity of any Scottish prince,” Richard Balfour, a chamberer within the king’s household wrote in a private letter. “But his eyes were sad and filled with loneliness. He had been held for nearly seven years at Sterling in close confinement—with no friends of his age. Deprived by his mother and surrounded by Albany’s French associates, he now clung closely to his mother.” One of Margaret’s first acts, once she and Alexander IV settled into Holyrood, was to ensure her son would have associates of his age—potential friends that could serve him as he grew older. “He must be around boys his age,” Margaret wrote in a letter to Earl Arran. “I wish him to be as his father—he must be bold and active and enjoy the hunt as much as he enjoys his literature.”

Though Margaret worried and fretted over her son, she did not need to worry. As the years passed, Alexander IV grew into a tall and handsome young man. One courtier wrote that “His Grace is a picture of beauty and health—the son of Venus and Mars.” Alexander IV had his mother’s Tudor coloring—reddish-gold hair, with piercing green eyes. Any fears that the queen mother had that her son might end up bookish or weak were unfounded; the king became devoted to hunting and became immersed in military matters—he enjoyed watching the drills of the royal guard with great interest. More concerning was his attachment to his friends—in particular, George Seton, the sixth Lord of Seton—who had joined Alexander IV’s household in 1524 as a companion. “His Grace rides and hunts with Lord Seton daily,” Robert Balfour wrote in another private letter—perhaps intended for a member of his family. “They are rarely apart; Lord Seton’s rooms are close to the kings, and they often spend hours closeted together… bound by their mutual love of literature and poetry, most especially French. The king is always familiar with Lord Seton; he is addressed always as mon coeur chéri or mon beau Seton… the king lavishes the greatest care upon his greatest friend, and Lord Seton often shares the king’s bed…” Lord Seton seemed to be as attached to the king as the king was to him—and Lord Seton quickly became known within the Scottish court as George the Fair—the debonair young man having become a quick favorite of Alexander IV.

The regency for Alexander IV was terminated in 1530, shortly after his sixteenth birthday. Though for a time Alexander IV maintained cordial relations with the Earl of Arran, his hopes of remaining an influential member of the king’s circle were unlikely. “I do not trust him—and I do not care for him. He may have pleased my mother, but he does not please me.” Alexander IV was recorded as saying to James Beaton, the Archbishop of Glasgow. “If Your Grace is not pleased—then he must go,” was Beaton’s retort. Arran’s time in the sun was quickly over, and Alexander IV soon named the Archbishop of Glasgow as his new Lord Chancellor—restoring Beaton to a position he had held during the Duke of Albany’s regency. Arran died shortly thereafter—with his young son succeeding him as earl. Alexander IV’s court was bright and riotous—like his father, he enjoyed hosting courtly celebrations, and a younger clique of courtiers began to form around the young king. “The court is young and bright—they must enjoy themselves, for life is a little bit sweeter now,” one older courtier recorded in his journal. Even the king’s mother agreed with the sentiment; with the termination of her regency, she soon retired to her dower property at Methven Castle. Though she made frequent appearances at Alexander IV’s court, and they maintained a warm relationship, she was finally free to live her own life. At Methven, she took great interest in the nearby village, and she also founded a priory for nuns attached to Methven Castle.

seton.jpg

George, Lord Seton, known as George the Fair. Painted c. 1533.

One of the prime concerns for the king’s council during the earliest days of his personal reign was the question of succession. Alexander IV was the sole living son of James IV following the death of his brother, James V. Though the House of Stewart had an heir in the person of the Duke of Albany, now in exile in France, Albany had only a daughter named Catherine (b. 1522) by his wife Anne de la Tour de Auvergne, the Countess of Boulogne, who had passed in 1524—with Auvergne and Lauraguais passing to Albany’s infant daughter. Few relished the idea of Albany, or his French-born daughter coming to the Scottish throne—this meant that Alexander IV needed to marry, and quickly. Luckily there remained a solution—the Treaty of Rouen, signed in 1517 had not only reaffirmed the Auld Alliance but agreed that Alexander IV would marry a French Princess—one of the daughters of François of France. While some of the king’s councilors considered possible alternative matches, such as one of the daughters of the exiled Christian II of Denmark, or even Maria of Portugal, a daughter of João III and Eleanor of Austria, the fact remained that François’ eldest daughters, Louise (b. 1515) and Charlotte (b. 1516) were the closest in age to Alexander IV, and would be available for marriage much sooner than any other princess.

The earliest years of Alexander IV’s personal rule were spent increasing the power of the crown—which had been depleted over the period of the sixteen-year regency. The Scottish royal house had suffered in the previous century from successive child kings and lengthy regencies, a wrong that Alexander IV sought to right. In 1531 and 1532, Alexander IV, with George Seton at his side campaigned in the Scottish borderlands, where he dispensed justice and cracked down on rebellious lairds, while control over the chieftains of the western isles was tightened as well. Alexander IV also effected a reproachment with the Duke of Albany—employing his kinsman to look after his interests in France and Rome. The young king aggressively followed a policy to increase the royal income: not only did he tighten control over the royal estates within the royal demesne but leaned upon Parliament to annul certain grants that had been made during his regency. Additional profits were raised from custom duties, feudal dues, and the payments of fines. Additional revenue was brought in through taxation upon the church—Pius V gave the king the right to tax monastic incomes while giving him more say in the appointment of Scottish benefices.

Though Alexander IV seemed to be in no hurry to consider his possible marriage, towards the end of 1532 he gave his approval to the Duke of Albany to open negotiations with King François for his marriage. Negotiations primarily concerned financial matters; it was agreed François would endow his daughter with a dowry of 200,000₶, along with an annual pension of 30,000₶. Deliberations also concerned the jointure that the future queen would receive, valued at some £13,000—not only would she be given Falkland Palace, Sterling Castle (which Margaret Tudor agreed to surrender to her son in exchange for a lump sum) Dingwall Castle, and Threave Castle, but she would enjoy the rentals from the earldoms of Fife, Strathearn, Ross, and Orkney, as well as the lordships of Galloway, Ardmannoch, and the Isles, along with whatever other properties might be required to reach the requisite sum. The jointure was worth four times what had been granted to Margaret Tudor and meant that the future Queen of Scots would enjoy an opulent lifestyle that was almost unheard of among the Scottish consorts—a boon for a daughter of the King of France. As negotiations carried on, Alexander IV declared that he would travel to France in person to bring home his bride—delaying the signing of any final contract so that he could see both princesses in person before making his final choice.

“The final plans are being laid for our departure,” Alexander IV wrote in a letter to King François, dated in April of 1533. “There have been some delays with our provisions, but we hope to see you quite soon—I have heard of all the glories and beauties of France and her court, all thanks to you—and I look forward to seeing them in person.” Alexander IV’s retinue was composed of the Earl of Argyll and Rothes, as well as Lord Fleming and David Beaton—as well as the king’s favorite, George Seton. Some 500 troops would accompany the king, and his flagship was the Scottish warship Margaret—which had been built in 1505 and named after the king’s mother. Alexander IV appointed six vice-regents to govern the kingdom in his absence, with his mother noticeably absent from the list. “He has grown into his kingly abilities,” Margaret Tudor lamented privately in a note to one of her friends. “And I fear he has no need for me in such matters—all the better, for I am long wearied of the business of government.” Alexander IV would become the first king since David II, nearly two hundred years earlier to voluntarily depart from Scotland. His trip to France, which would become known as the séjour français would play a large part in the future annals of Alexander IV’s reign.

Medieval_carrack_-_detail_by_Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder.jpg

Detail of a Medieval Carrack, c. 1558.

Alexander IV and his Scottish retinue arrived at the port of Honfleur on April 17th 1533. Alexander IV was hosted by the French governor at Rouen, before traveling south to meet François and the French court at the Palace of Fontainebleau. “All the court was arrayed and attired in their very best for the arrival of the King of Scots,” one courtier wrote in his diary. “His Majesty was sumptuously dressed, with Queen Béatrice beside him, thick in waist and pregnant again, hoping that she might give the king a living child… all the king’s family was present: the Dauphin and his betrothed, the Princesse Isabelle; the Duc d’Orléans, as well as the princesses—Louise and Charlotte, both who were possible brides to the Scotch king, Anne, and little Victoire, who clung close to her sisters. Anne, the king’s maîtresse—newly minted as the Marquise de Sarzane was in attendance as well… pregnant with her third child and flaunting it before the whole of the court as always…” Alexander IV was presented to the king, who immediately clasped his hands around the Scottish monarch before he bestowed two kisses upon his cheeks. “Soon, you shall be my son.” François was recorded as saying—with the French court charmed by the Scottish monarch, as well as Beau Seton—both who were praised for their courtly manners, fine dress, and attention to detail.

The arrival of the Scottish retinue threw the French court into a whirl of feasts and celebrations, with François hosting masques as well as dances so that Alexander IV could get to know his two eldest daughters in a more carefree environment—with additional entertainments hosted by the Marquise de Sarzane. Despite this, Alexander IV maintained a careful neutrality between the queen and the king’s mistress, and courtiers were astonished that Alexander IV made it a point to attend mass daily with Queen Beatriz—even if he would often spend the evening at an event hosted by Anne de Boullan. “Both of the princesses are beautiful,” Alexander IV wrote in a letter home to his mother—its contents methodological, rather than emotional. “Louise is shy, whilst Charlotte is full of gaiety; both possess impeccable manners, and their charms are numerous. Either would make a fine wife—and a finer queen.” Alexander IV knew where his duty lay—but his true interests lay more in the young Lord Seton, as well as another man who had piqued the Scottish sovereign’s interest—Georges de Boullan, brother of Anne de Boullan.

500px-Il_Sodoma._Villa_Farnesina_fresco1.jpg

Marriage of Alexander the Great and Roxana; Italian Frescoe.

Homosexuality was not an unknown vice within the libertine French court of the time—there existed a small subculture of young noblemen who cavorted together—aside from hosting feasts and dances within their private apartments where sexual activity occurred, they also hosted activities known as bal des dames—where attendees dressed in women’s clothing, perfuming themselves and painting themselves as their favorite ladies of the court—one infamous bal des dames included two gentlemen who had dressed as Queen Beatrice and the Marquise de Sarzane, where they acted in theatrical scenes and arguments they envisioned the pair having. These young men, derided by some at court as lucioles (fireflies) were perhaps influenced by homosexual subcultures in Italy, where many men had served within the king’s army—and perhaps some of them had been inducted into the vice by Italian paramours or lovers. “All knew that the lucioles had a queen—and that was none other than the Marquise de Sarzane’s brother,” one member of the clique wrote in a gossipy letter to a friend of his. “Georges de Boullan was a cad—that endeared him to His Majesty, who enjoyed having a friend who was as lascivious as he was. Boullan was indiscriminate in his affairs and tastes—he loved men and women equally. All knew that the King of Scots was one of our brethren when we set eyes upon him—and all of us would’ve vied for the pleasure of inducting him into our vice. But the honor fell to Boullan instead, that damnable rogue!” Did Georges de Boullan truly bed the young King of Scots? It is a matter that had been debated among historians—some believed that his relationship with Seton was wholly innocent until their sojourn to France; others believed it unlikely—and that Alexander IV likely came into France as an active practitioner of what sixteenth-century Frenchmen called the vice—not as a novice. Other rumors concerned Alexander IV’s participation in the activities of the lucioles—including a bal des dames, where he allegedly dressed as a Princess of France on the eve of her wedding—an illusion of his own impending nuptials.

Whatever truly occurred—the first rifts between Alexander IV and George Seton occurred when Alexander IV, having been granted the Order of Saint Michael by François, was embarrassed that the crown of Scotland had no honor to confer in return. Alexander IV was determined to create his own royal order and founded the Order of the Thistle during his sojourn in France. The first knighthood was granted to François, but Alexander IV granted the second honor to Georges de Boullan—with George Seton receiving his knighthood third. “His Grace has quarreled violently with Lord Seton this evening,” David Beaton wrote in a letter to Margaret Tudor. “Lord Seton is piqued that an Englishman should be so honored before himself—he who has been the king’s greatest friend for so many years.” Little surprise that the pair reconciled—much to the dismay of those among Alexander IV’s suite who felt his favorite held far too much influence over him. More important was the king’s need to choose a wife—and quickly. The Scottish retinue spent the spring with the French court at Fontainebleau, but as summer dawned, François made plans for the French court to decamp to Amboise—all the while Alexander IV had not yet made up his mind regarding which French princess he might choose. “The King of Scots demurs when pressed by François,” François’ sister, Marguerite d’Angoulême wrote in a letter to her husband, Henri II of Navarre. “Instead, the Scot pleads for my time, claiming that he cannot possibly distinguish between their charms. François’ patience has run thin… he asked that Sieur Beaton attend a meeting of the Counseil, asking that his master's plans be laid clear—that he must choose a bride and allow a date to be set, or else…” This news was relayed nervously to Alexander IV, who then convened a meeting of notables amongst his retinue to render a final decision. “His Grace has been told that the choice lies with him….” Beaton wrote in a nervous missive to Margaret Tudor. “That he merely needs to utter a name, and all shall be done. He prevaricates; he asks again and again—asking that we compile their charms versus their faults; asking that we once more go over the drafts of the marriage treaty as if it is a treaty of peace or war. He is incapable of coming to a decision, madam—and a decision needs to be made.” It was in this difficult moment that David Beaton stooped lower than he had ever imagined he might—he asked Lord Seton for his guidance, asking that he make the decision that would please the king best—and plant that choice within his ear.

Seton did as Beaton asked him—and debated the pair of French princesses. Though both were pretty, Seton decided that Charlotte was prettier, as well as much more outgoing, ensuring that she would likely bond much easier with the king who could sometimes be withdrawn. To Seton, the choice mattered not—one French princess was not much different from the other. On June 27th of 1533, the final drafts of the marriage treaty were signed, and Charlotte and Alexander IV were formally betrothed—with the marriage date set for December 8th on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. While Charlotte looked every inch a future princess as she stood beside her new betrothed, Louise reportedly wept when she discovered—despite being the eldest daughter of her father—that she would not marry the King of Scots. When Anne de Boullan attempted to console the young princess, she retorted: “Madame—these are not tears of sadness. They are tears of joy!” With the issue of which princess Alexander IV might choose now out of the way, all conditions were lifted for the marriage to be held as soon as possible.

lossy-page1-300px-Corneille_de_Lyon_-_Portrait_of_a_Woman_-_1942.48_-_Cleveland_Museum_of_Art.tiff.jpg

Princess Charlotte of France, c. 1532.

Fall passed through the court like a whirlwind. In September—Queen Beatriz and Anne de Boullan both went into labor mere days apart. François was not idle with his love and bestowed it openly upon his mistress and queen in equal measure—it surprised none at court that both the maîtresse and queen should fall pregnant at the same time. Indeed, with Anne de Boullan having last delivered the king a daughter named Jacqueline in 1530, some thought that she had become pregnant again on purpose when relations between François and Beatriz were harmonious, and there was hope of issue—since Beatriz’s miscarriage in 1528, she suffered another in 1531—and had not yet borne the king a living child. While Beatriz was ensconced within her chambre in hopes of bearing the king a son, Anne labored within her own chamber. “The king’s attentions were lavished upon the Marquise,” a lady-in-waiting to Anne de Boullan wrote. “He spent hours at her bedside, petting her hand and urging onward—in hopes that she might give him a son. Sadly—he did not deign to visit the queen and sent the Dauphin in his stead.” Beatriz gave birth first—a delicate daughter that she named Marie in honor of her mother. It was Anne de Boullan who triumphed that day—giving the king a strapping son, whom Anne named Octave—declaring before the king and the whole court that: “I have given our César a son.” Following the queen’s birth, Beatriz sent a note to François—“Has the Marquise endured her travail without issue? It is difficult to be gored by the royal boar again and again and to escape unscathed. My best wishes to her—whoring is so difficult, after all. I ask, milord husband, that you might come to my chambers at your nearest convenience, for your newest legitimate child desires to see you, and wishes for your blessing as her father and as the King of France, Most Christian King. The king did not deign to respond—nor did he show. Hours after little Marie’s birth, the tiny princess perished—breathing her last. Beatriz openly wept at this latest loss—now the whore Boullan had given the king a son, while she had given him nothing. “Why does she quicken without issue!” Beatriz exclaimed to her ladies—on the verge of madness according to one of her maids of honor. “And why must I suffer so? An unfaithful husband, bewitched by an English harlot—must I endure a sickly womb, as well?”

Despite the discord between François and his queen, the anticipated wedding between Alexander IV and Princess Charlotte was held several months later, on December 8th at Notre Dame in Paris. “A sumptuous affair—King François spared no expense, and the cathedral was decorated with banners of the finest silk—the streets were carpeted and perfumed. The bride’s dress was especially beautiful—with a low-cut bodice that was encrusted with pearls and made from fine Alençon lace; the gown had fleur-de-lys in a brocade made of cloth of gold, with the gown a stunning blue. The King of Scots was likewise attired gloriously in a silken jerkin with puffed sleeves—decorated with a brocade of black—with vines etched in cloth of gold.” The couple’s marriage was blessed by Cardinal Jean Le Veneur, the Bishop of Lisieux and Grand Almoner of France. Grand entertainments were held throughout the capital following the wedding—the common people tore up the gilded carpets laid through the streets, while the bourgeoisie of Paris offered up entertainment and food. François himself provided the city with fountains of wine and several tons of meat from the royal kitchens to feed in celebration of the marriage of the king’s first daughter. Royal entertainments were held that evening at the Louvre Palace—Anne de Boullan herself, though in attendance at the Louvre, also had a fête given at her Parisian residence, the Hôtel des Tournelles. Feasting and fame carried through the night—until it was time for the bedding ceremony.

350px-Giulio_Romano.jpg

Madonna & Child, Giulio Romano.

Alexander IV and Charlotte—now Queen of Scots were bedded in one of the great chambers within the Louvre Palace. The grand state bed had been ordered specially for the occasion—its curtains were made of silk and cloth of gold, etched with the fleur-de-lys and as well as the Scottish lion. Motifs were carved into both the headboard and other pieces of the bed. The court was assembled, with François assisting Alexander IV in undressing—while the honor of undressing Charlotte was given to Anne de Boullan: a major snub, with Queen Beatriz glowering amongst the courtiers as the king’s maîtresse usurped yet another of her rightful privileges. “His Grace was nervous as the cardinal blessed the bed,” George Seton himself wrote in his private journal. “He was only put at ease by the King of France—who boldly slapped him upon the back before declaring ‘Now your work begins!’ The Queen of Scots seemed stoic in comparison, though the Marquise de Sarzane provided comforting words to the young princess, whom she viewed almost like a daughter. When the king and queen were finally deposited within the bed, it was the King of France who boldly closed the curtains, extorting his daughter and now son-in-law to be fruitful. It was only then we were ushered from the chambre… I did not visit His Grace this night, as he was occupied; I attended a feast given by the Marquise de Sarzane’s brother…” The young King of Scots and his even younger queen were now left alone behind the heavy gilded curtains—few can say what exactly happened that night. Charlotte would write in a letter to Anne de Boullan shortly after the wedding, “His Grace is most tender and caring; before we slept, he caressed my hand, before kissing it, and then kissing me upon the lips. He bade that he would cherish me as his wife—and after that, we slept most reasonably and peaceably…”

Alexander and Charlotte remained in France throughout the winter and early spring—the Scots departed from Paris in late February, with the new Queen of Scotland touring through Normandy, where she was treated to entertainment at Rouen. The Scottish left France through the port of Dieppe—and arrived in Scotland at Leith on March 22nd, 1534. Charlotte was immediately hailed by the populace, as a beautiful young queen to join their handsome young king. There was just one issue: their beautiful queen was still a virgin.

“His Grace knows what must be done,” George Seton wrote again within his private journal. “But it is a different situation, and his timidity overwhelms the courage that is natural to his royal stock. He cannot rise to the occasion… luckily, the queen remains blissfully unaware, believing that what has transpired has happened exactly as it should…”

Last edited:
Oh wow, Alexander IV is all grown up! This was quite an interesting chapter. I loved the development of Alexander, when it comes to both his personal life and how he reigns. The fact that he takes such interest in government, going to campaign through Scotland and deal with things himself, is so interesting to me! I also think that his relationships with both Seton and Georges are really intriguing; it seems like Scotland will have some very interesting times ahead, given Seton’s influence over the king. 👀 I wonder how Charlotte will navigate her life in Scotland, too… can’t wait for whenever we catch up with them again!

On the other side of things—Francis and his groupon peen strike again. 😂 Anne and Beatriz both being pregnant at the same time was super interesting, and not at all surprising. The line about Anne flaunting her pregnancy around made me laugh a little, as did the part about people thinking that she got pregnant on purpose to stir the pot in Francis and Beatriz’s relationship, lol! I feel so bad for poor Beatriz, though. Dealing with child loss is bad enough, it’s made even worse with how blatantly unfaithful Francis is–and that doesn’t even get into the humiliation that she must’ve felt once little Octave was born. She’s been dealt such a bad hand so far, unfortunately. I hope that she finds some happiness in France eventually, even if it’s only marginal.

Another splendid chapter! I can’t wait for the next one. 😊

Ha! I love it! I shrieked with laughter when I realised Alexander had fallen for Georges as well as George Seaton, and here's hoping Charlotte survives Scotland better than her younger sister did OTL...

So, King Alex is a member of the alphabet mafia? Honestly, slay. Otl’s James VI has come early it seems, heh. Hopefully he can do his duty and provide Scotland with some much needed heirs. Otherwise his Albany cousin will likely have to marry into Lennox or Arran. Hopefully Charlotte will also manage better in Scotland than her sister otl. It’ll be exciting to see the two Georges fight for royal favour.

The French court seems to be a debauched mess. Poor Beatriz though. I understand that she’s losing it, with Francis being such a dick. At least Anne Boleyn has a much better fate here than otl, but Francis needs to remember that Beatriz is the one who can provide heirs and brings a Portuguese alliance. I can’t remember, what has happened to Mary Boleyn and their parents?

So, King Alex is a member of the alphabet mafia? Honestly, slay. Otl’s James VI has come early it seems, heh. Hopefully he can do his duty and provide Scotland with some much needed heirs. Otherwise his Albany cousin will likely have to marry into Lennox or Arran. Hopefully Charlotte will also manage better in Scotland than her sister otl. It’ll be exciting to see the two Georges fight for royal favour.
Albany’s daughter has no need to marry into the Arran or the Lennox, as she is indisputably ahead of them in the succession…
The French court seems to be a debauched mess. Poor Beatriz though. I understand that she’s losing it, with Francis being such a dick. At least Anne Boleyn has a much better fate here than otl, but Francis needs to remember that Beatriz is the one who can provide heirs and brings a Portuguese alliance. I can’t remember, what has happened to Mary Boleyn and their parents?
Francis has no great need of more sons Portugal would always stay closer to Spain than France

Great chapter, I really enjoy Alexander in his attempts to better improve Scotland and royal power while still having to do "his kingly duties" with his wife while being around his true loves, hopefully he can at least give Scotland some much needed heirs least a succession crisis occur.

Also poor Beatriz, even beyond the pain from three child deaths by now she has to deal with her husband flaunting his mistress and his bastards, hoping she can get a W soon enough.