And thus concludes yet another Italian war. I really like that neither Francis nor Charles really came out ‘victorious’ in this war; with Lorenzo III ending up in the best spot through his marriage to Charles's illegitimate daughter. I also enjoyed hearing of Louis IV's attempts to regain Sicily for Naples… Maybe someday he’ll succeed. 😂 At least Charles will finally have his coronation, though—a full twenty-one years after he was elected! The Concordant is really interesting, and it looks like the Catholic Church in the Empire is going to undergo some more changes ITTL, though it’s good that the Pope will still have some say. Pius V seems to be pretty good at his job, all things considered. I feel bad for Francis, losing one of his sons like that. François of Bourbon joining the church, though…some interesting stuff is bound to come from that, with regards to his inheritance. 👀 An earlier Habsburg-Polish marriage is certain to be interesting, too; I hope that we can see something about Marie and Sigismund soon.

It sounds like the Dauphin and Isabelle genuinely love and care for each other, and I'm so here for it! Here’s hoping that they have many years together. It is quite sad to see that she has little relationship/attachment to Charles, but I suppose that’s to be expected when she’s been raised at another court for years and seems to have a loving relationship with her in-laws…aside from the queen (not that I can blame her, given that Beatriz doesn’t seem too thrilled about her either). Even if I do feel bad for her, the dynamic between Beatriz and the French royal family continues to make me laugh out loud; she’s managed to get all of Francis and Claude's children to dislike her somehow, and the fact that they all seem to like his mistress more just seems to be salt in the wound. She needs to get out of that court for her own sake at this point.

Georges de Boullan and Louise Borgia…You mad lad, you actually did it!! 😂 Thrilled with Georges getting the dukedom of his father-in-law, and I'm sure Louise will be glad to have the title, too. It’s a good match for both of them, all things considered; and it lines up well with Anne's desire to find George a wealthy heiress! Hopefully they can be happy together, or at least satisfied/cordial.

Another fantastic chapter! ^-^ I'm looking forward to the next one.

Great update! Once again half of Europe fights to gain absolutely nothing!
Little surprise that Isabelle, much like King François’ children from his first marriage—did not get along with the queen—while her relationship with the king’s mistress, the Duchess of Plaisance, was much warmer. Isabelle also got along well with King François, whom she called Papa Roi—the king in turn, treated Isabelle as his daughter, and often spoiled her with various gifts and trinkets. Isabelle’s relationship with her father, the emperor was much more distant and sustained primarily through letters. “I hope that this letter finds you well and in good health… I was much grieved to hear that have been ill recently,” Charles V wrote in a letter to his daughter. “I shall be sending an envoy, the Ritter von Borié in the next few months… he has a few gifts that I hope you shall enjoy, including a sapphire necklace that was a favorite of your maman. I think of you daily and wish that you were here with us… Marie and Maximilian miss you terribly and await your letters with great interest. The empress is doing well, and I can write to you with great joy that you are once again a big sister—the empress has delivered a healthy son, whom we have named Charles…”
So everyone in Paris hates Beatriz. I kinda feel sorry for her, even if she’s a bit difficult here. At least Isabelle is happy despite a distant relationship with her father. And Charles and Renee have another son! That leaves the Austrian branch secure too. It’ll be interesting to see how Charles secures imperial loyalty though. Otl Ferdinand could do that easier with the absurd number of kids he had that could be married off for alliances. Charles doesn’t quite have that luxury here
Charles was also able to resume friendly relations with Poland, following the death of Barbara Zápolya, the Queen of Poland following complications with the gout in her feet that had long troubled her. Charles and Sigismund negotiated the Treaty of Lublin, which arranged for the betrothal of Charles’ second daughter, Marie, with Sigismund’s eldest son and heir, also named Sigismund (b. 1515).
Hopefully he’ll be more succesful than otl’s Sigismund II in fathering an heir. I kinda want to see the Jagiellons survive and the PLC not turn into a hot mess
“Vicomte Charles Brandon de Strêye proved his worth to the imperial cause at La Hérie… the French troops were scattered like dust, while the troops under Strêye suffered minimal losses. Strêye would write to his wife, Anna van Egmont, afterward: ‘We have avenged the humiliations at Longwy today.’ Strêye would find himself well rewarded—the emperor would grant him a pension of ƒ1500… and the domain of Erbisœul.”
Get it, Charles B!
Louis IV of Naples, who had wed François’ eldest daughter Louise in 1535 readily reaffirmed his alliance with France, and once more asserted his rights to the Kingdom of Sicily.
Nice to see that Louise got a happy ending. I imagine that she’ll likely be happier in Naples than in Scotland as well
Boullan found himself fabulously rewarded; he was granted the Duchy of Valentinois—a gift made even sweeter by his marriage in 1534 to Louise, the Dame of Châlus, better known as Louise de Borgia…”
Now that’s an intriguing match! Perhaps we’ll need to see a family tree for Mary, Anne and George at some point to see how far the Boleyns have climbed. But a Boleyn/Borgia match… Their children will have 100% drama and ambition flowing through their veins
Though the Duke of Lorraine succeeded in holding the field, it came at a heavy cost—the young Duke of Orléans was killed in battle, cut down by a German Landsknecht—seen firsthand by the young Duke of Bourbon. “My youth and folly died that day upon the fields of Fresnoy,” Bourbon would write in his memoirs many decades later. “My years before Fresnoy had been without purpose; I lost my father at a young age and was raised in the household of Madame de Louise. I hated how unjustly my father had been treated, and truly lamented his death. I sought to regain the favor of the king, in hopes that my family’s name might be restored. All that I did was in honor of King François. When the emperor sent troops into France, I was the first to volunteer… I served alongside my cousin Monsieur d’Orléans at Fresnoy. He was valiant—valiant but stupid. I watched as charged at the German cavalryman…and watched just as quickly as he was gutted and left for dead. It was then that I realized how worthless battle was—and how little our lives meant, whether we were princes or peasants. That night, I truly believed that God spoke to me: He beseeched me to honor him and him above all others—the path to redemption was not through battle and war, but through our Holy Church.The Duke of Bourbon’s religious epiphany at Fresnoy would lead to him embarking upon an ecclesiastical career—becoming one of the founding fathers of the Isèrians, a religious order founded by him on the banks of the Isère River.
Rip to the Duc D’Orleans. No French/Scottish heiress for him then. Bourbon’s turn to religion is certainly ominous. I wonder how that’ll influence the French wars of religion

In his martial life, the Prince of Asturias was blessed—he was devoted to his wife, the Portuguese Infanta Isabella of Portugal, and she had born him a child nearly every year. By 1533, they had five children: Fernando Alonso (b. 1528), Maria (b. 1529), Isabella (b. 1530; d. 1531), Manuel (b. 1531), and Juan (b. 1533). Ferdinand’s marriage had been fruitful—and the Spanish line of the Habsburgs was secure.
Well, Maria is definitely gonna get an extremely prestigious match, as the eldest and perhaps only daughter, and the rest of the boys will need brides as well. One of the might enter the church and become archbishop of Toledo. Or even the pope.

Honestly given the deception of Charles V here, I wouldn't be surprised if Francis prepared himself to do something similar and renegade the treaty so he can try and conquer Burgundian land again, especially with how pissed he seemed at having be dupped like this, wouldn't surprise me if he called for aid from Hungary, Naples and whoever (except Turks) that have beef with Charles and want to strike at him, I expect yet ANOTHER war in some 10 years or so.

As always, loved the chapter here.

Great to see things developing. Others have made some of the points I wanted to make. I would be interested to see how Rene is doing. Did she view the war against France as justice for the way her rights to Britanny were usurped and her sister treated, was she against her husband fighting her homeland, or did she just take it with equanimity as a wife is expected to.

The birth of young Charles leads to the possibility Burgundy and Austria might be split, which is a terrible idea, as even if united they might not be strong enough to face the French. If I were Charles I would send him to the Chuch, and try to make him a Cardinal or an Elector.

Interesting to see Polish Austrian reconciliation. Presumably, Sigismund is not prepared to completely abandon Hungary. Anna is after all his niece. Maybe a compromise could be worked out similar to IRL, with Zapolya getting Transylvania, Elizabeth gaining the crown of Hungary, and presumably wedding her cousin Maximilian. Protestantism can both help and hinder this as on the one hand, shared Protestant beliefs might help Mary and Anna reconcile. On the other hand I doubt either, especially Anna, would be keen to have a Catholic Hapsburg presiding over the burgeoning reformation in their countries.

Honestly given the deception of Charles V here, I wouldn't be surprised if Francis prepared himself to do something similar and renegade the treaty so he can try and conquer Burgundian land again, especially with how pissed he seemed at having be dupped like this, wouldn't surprise me if he called for aid from Hungary, Naples and whoever (except Turks) that have beef with Charles and want to strike at him, I expect yet ANOTHER war in some 10 years or so.

Charles and Francis will duke it out while they are still in their eighties.

two frail old men hitting with each other with the strikes of their canes that have the strength of a butterfly
While their grandchildren are sitting in a room next over, sipping tea and making conversations. "Oh just ignore then, they have no ability to quit their feuds since 1520. In a hour they will be tired and take a nap."

And thus concludes yet another Italian war. I really like that neither Francis nor Charles really came out ‘victorious’ in this war; with Lorenzo III ending up in the best spot through his marriage to Charles's illegitimate daughter. I also enjoyed hearing of Louis IV's attempts to regain Sicily for Naples… Maybe someday he’ll succeed. 😂 At least Charles will finally have his coronation, though—a full twenty-one years after he was elected! The Concordant is really interesting, and it looks like the Catholic Church in the Empire is going to undergo some more changes ITTL, though it’s good that the Pope will still have some say. Pius V seems to be pretty good at his job, all things considered. I feel bad for Francis, losing one of his sons like that. François of Bourbon joining the church, though…some interesting stuff is bound to come from that, with regards to his inheritance. 👀 An earlier Habsburg-Polish marriage is certain to be interesting, too; I hope that we can see something about Marie and Sigismund soon.

It sounds like the Dauphin and Isabelle genuinely love and care for each other, and I'm so here for it! Here’s hoping that they have many years together. It is quite sad to see that she has little relationship/attachment to Charles, but I suppose that’s to be expected when she’s been raised at another court for years and seems to have a loving relationship with her in-laws…aside from the queen (not that I can blame her, given that Beatriz doesn’t seem too thrilled about her either). Even if I do feel bad for her, the dynamic between Beatriz and the French royal family continues to make me laugh out loud; she’s managed to get all of Francis and Claude's children to dislike her somehow, and the fact that they all seem to like his mistress more just seems to be salt in the wound. She needs to get out of that court for her own sake at this point.

Georges de Boullan and Louise Borgia…You mad lad, you actually did it!! 😂 Thrilled with Georges getting the dukedom of his father-in-law, and I'm sure Louise will be glad to have the title, too. It’s a good match for both of them, all things considered; and it lines up well with Anne's desire to find George a wealthy heiress! Hopefully they can be happy together, or at least satisfied/cordial.

Another fantastic chapter! ^-^ I'm looking forward to the next one.
Thank you, Mickey!

Yes, this war ended up not really pleasing either side: though François now occupies Savoy, it remains to be seen if he'll return it to Duke Charles... he did it once before, but with the lack of progress in the Low Countries, he may decide to hang onto it for a bit longer. Certainly, Catherine of Austria is probably tired of being chased from her duchy every few years because her brother and the King of France get into it. It sort of reestablishes an equilibrium between the two parties, as France's previous victories were based more upon luck (capturing Charles in battle, then the state of Charles finances). He's in a better position to fight back, now. Louis IV will definitely attempt Sicily again, and his pirates will become a scourge of the Mediterranean.

The Concordat is very interesting, and is modelled upon the Concordat of Bologna. It extends some rights that the emperor had over Bishoprics and extends them throughout the empire, though obviously final say remains with the Pope. This also obviously doesn't impact the Electorates (including the spiritual electorates) which have their own concordat from 1447. This means that the spiritual electorates will continue to likely maintain their own elections, though of course the emperor and the princes will desire to foist their own candidates upon them, as they did IOTL. Beatriz... yes, she's a menace, isn't she? I do promise that good times will be coming for her, and she will eventually have a happy life, albeit one that isn't in France. She has succeeded in giving François a living son: Philippe Emmanuel, born in 1535. With his older brother killed in battle, he'll become Duke of Orléans now.

I remember we talked about a potential match for George, and I'll admit: the idea of Boleyn + Borgia was too much to pass up! Plus it provided an easy title for him in the Duchy of Valentinois. I think Louise will be willing to look the other way regarding Georges, uh, appetites... and they'll have a decent marriage and some children, too.
This was a really good chapter. I hope Isabelle and the dauphin are happy together.
Thank you, Blue!

It is very much a love match. I was influenced by François II and his marriage to Mary Stuart, where they were considered very fond of each other because they were raised together. I did love the idea of Isabelle and the Dauphin IATL having a very solid foundation for their marriage. The Dauphin is devoted to Isabelle, and vice versa. Even more surprising is the Dauphin's lack of mistresses: he'll remain monogamous and devoted to his wife throughout their marriage (a rarity for French kings).

Well, Maria is definitely gonna get an extremely prestigious match, as the eldest and perhaps only daughter, and the rest of the boys will need brides as well. One of the might enter the church and become archbishop of Toledo. Or even the pope.
Oh, they have more children. ;) Twelve all together though two more of them die fairly young (including Isabella who died young, before). They end up having three more living sons: Carlos (b. 1536); Enrique (b. 1538) and Maximiliano (b. 1541) and two more living daughters: Leonor (b. 1540) and Margarita (b. 1543).

With the dearth of sons, the youngest can probably expect some plum clerical positions. I imagine aside from the heir, and the spare, and third son will probably remain in secular life, though he'll probably have to content himself with a domestic bride (if he marries at all).

For Maria, I'm sure Isabella would be pleased for her daughter to marry back into Portugal, though there's a rather large age gap between Maria and João III's eldest son, Carlos Manuel, who was born in 1522. The only princess who is of similar age to marry the heir of Portugal is Victoire, François' daughter... she was born in 1521, but given the treatment Beatriz has endured, I don't see the Portuguese angling for a French princess for their heir. A more far afield match for Carlos Emmanuel could be one of the daughters of Christian II, but I could see him desiring to use the marriages for alliances that would be of more use to Denmark...

So everyone in Paris hates Beatriz. I kinda feel sorry for her, even if she’s a bit difficult here. At least Isabelle is happy despite a distant relationship with her father. And Charles and Renee have another son! That leaves the Austrian branch secure too. It’ll be interesting to see how Charles secures imperial loyalty though. Otl Ferdinand could do that easier with the absurd number of kids he had that could be married off for alliances. Charles doesn’t quite have that luxury here
I promise that Beatriz is going to get her happy ending. She's still got some more time and agony to endure in France, but at least she has a son now, a son who is now the Duke of Orléans. Isabelle has had a very good life in France: it's sad that she's been separated from her parents and most especially her mother, but the relationship is sustained and cordial enough. Yes! The Burgundian Habsburg line is now secure, though thanks to God, little Maximilian is thriving.

Charles doesn't have the dearth of children that Ferdinand did, but Renée does give him several more daughters. Aside from Anne, mentioned in the previous chapter, there is Adélaïde (b. 1537) and Michèle (b. 1538). Though Marie will be going to Poland, that still gives him three daughters to use for alliances within empire. Perhaps Brandenburg, depending on their religious affiliation, and Cleves? Bavaria might work as well.

Hopefully he’ll be more succesful than otl’s Sigismund II in fathering an heir. I kinda want to see the Jagiellons survive and the PLC not turn into a hot mess
I have a soft spot for the Jagiellons, so they'll be surviving into the 17th century. Whether Sigismund II is successful remains to be seen, but he does have a younger brother named Alexander...

Nice to see that Louise got a happy ending. I imagine that she’ll likely be happier in Naples than in Scotland as well
Louise is much more at home in sunny Naples than in cold Scotland! Louis IV and Louise has two children so far, with more to come: Francesca (b. 1536) and Renato (b. 1537).

Now that’s an intriguing match! Perhaps we’ll need to see a family tree for Mary, Anne and George at some point to see how far the Boleyns have climbed. But a Boleyn/Borgia match… Their children will have 100% drama and ambition flowing through their veins
Ask, and you shall receive:

House of Boullan (Dukes of Plaisance & Valentinois in France):
  • Thomas Boleyn (1477 – 1539) m. Elizabeth Howard(1480 – 1538); Had Issue.
    • Marie (1499 –) m. Jean du Tillet, Sieur de La Bussiére (1500 –); Had Issue.
    • Georges, Duke of Valentinois (1504 –) m. Louise Borgia, Dame of Châlus (1500 –); Had Issue.
      • Charlotte (1535); Died Young.
      • Alain (1538 –)
      • Jean (1541 –)
    • Anne, Duchess of Plaisance (1507 –)
      • [Ilg.] Elisabeth (1526 –) with François of France.
      • [Ilg.] Jacqueline (1530 –) with François of France.
      • [Ilg.] Octave (1533 –) with François of France.
      • [Ilg.] Marguerite (1536); with François of France; Died Young.
      • [Ilg.] Charles-Hercule (1540); with François of France; Died Young.
Marie's issue with the Sieur de La Bussiére is not included because they don't end up being of any importance, but they do have children. Marie ends up having a happy and prosperous life away from court in Paris, where she hosts a renowned salon. Jean du Tillet is a royal archivist... so not an amazing match as far as things are concerned, but it was arranged when Anne was just beginning her ascent. I've scrubbed some things out of this tree (namely, future titles) as I don't wanna give away too much yet. ;)

Rip to the Duc D’Orleans. No French/Scottish heiress for him then. Bourbon’s turn to religion is certainly ominous. I wonder how that’ll influence the French wars of religion
Could definitely be interesting, presuming the junior Bourbon branch turns towards Protestantism. There's also the little heiress of Navarre, with her mother's inclinations, the House of Albret may end up Protestant as well, and her marriage could have a huge impact on things. I could see Beatriz angling for a marriage between Françoise and her own son, Philippe, to give him a crown of his own...

Thank you Kurd!

Given the good luck France had been having, I felt it good to knock them down a peg: and in all honesty, the OTL Italian War of 1536 played out in much the same way, where nothing really changed hands. I figured with the emperor holding Milan, he was likely more than happy to return to François in exchange for him giving up his claims to Artois and Franche-Comté as Isabelle's dowry. François, at the very least, did occupy Savoy... given his inability to press any claims elsewhere, it seems that Duke Charles III had better get used to living in Brussels for a little while.

They will definitely end up at war again: and likely sooner rather than later. 😂

Great to see things developing. Others have made some of the points I wanted to make. I would be interested to see how Rene is doing. Did she view the war against France as justice for the way her rights to Britanny were usurped and her sister treated, was she against her husband fighting her homeland, or did she just take it with equanimity as a wife is expected to.

The birth of young Charles leads to the possibility Burgundy and Austria might be split, which is a terrible idea, as even if united they might not be strong enough to face the French. If I were Charles I would send him to the Chuch, and try to make him a Cardinal or an Elector.

Interesting to see Polish Austrian reconciliation. Presumably, Sigismund is not prepared to completely abandon Hungary. Anna is after all his niece. Maybe a compromise could be worked out similar to IRL, with Zapolya getting Transylvania, Elizabeth gaining the crown of Hungary, and presumably wedding her cousin Maximilian. Protestantism can both help and hinder this as on the one hand, shared Protestant beliefs might help Mary and Anna reconcile. On the other hand I doubt either, especially Anna, would be keen to have a Catholic Hapsburg presiding over the burgeoning reformation in their countries.
Renée's position towards the conflict was probably complicated. For one, there's probably not much love lost between François and Renée. After all, she was essentially forced to give up her rights to Brittany in exchange for the Duchy of Chartres: not exactly a fair trade. I'm sure she's well aware that Charles has no true ambitions towards regaining Brittany, and his attempts to bring it up were just part of his tactic of prevaricating when negotiating with the French. Renée and Charles have a fairly cordial relationship, though it lacks warmth, and he is troubled by her interest in the Protestant movement.

Charles will likely maintain the integrity of the Habsburg dominions, rather than trying to split them up. IIRC, Ferdinand gave his sons IOTL pieces of the Austrian dominions, but as appanages rather than directly splitting up the territories, so his younger son will likely be benefitted in that way. He may also receive the governorship of the Austrian territories, or perhaps even become Governor of Bohemia should Maximilian's marriage to Elisabeth of Bohemia come to pass.

Sigismund hasn't abandoned his relationship with his relatives in Hungary, but there are benefits to seeking a more positive relationship with the Habsburgs, especially with Mary's daughter being crowned in Bohemia. All are aware of the potential of her perhaps wedding into the imperial line and dragging Bohemia into the Habsburg dominions. Unfortunately I don't think any sort of compromise will be possible while Zápolya lives; he still maintains the whole of Hungary, and while his policies have lead to unease, he still remains vast support amongst the petty gentry, while the magnates have been all but cut down through the troubles at Mohac, the attacks by the Turks at Sopron, economic attacks through requisitions, ect. There remains an opposition force that champions the rights of Elisabeth to the Hungarian crown, but they've been much diminished in the aftermath of the Turkish invasion.

Perhaps there is hope for Mary and Anna to reconcile through their Protestant faith, but I think their political issues will always serve as a barrier: Mary is always going to believe that Hungary was usurped from her daughter, and she will likely lay that blame at Anna's feet, who chose to collaborate with (and marry!) John Zápolya rather than showing support to the claims of her niece. They are likely to remain enemies until their dying days.

Charles and Francis will duke it out while they are still in their eighties.
Gods, we don't need a world where a geriatric Charles and Francis are /still/ fighting over Milan into the 1580s...

I do promise that good times will be coming for her, and she will eventually have a happy life, albeit one that isn't in France. She has succeeded in giving François a living son: Philippe Emmanuel, born in 1535. With his older brother killed in battle, he'll become Duke of Orléans now.
Charles doesn't have the dearth of children that Ferdinand did, but Renée does give him several more daughters. Aside from Anne, mentioned in the previous chapter, there is Adélaïde (b. 1537) and Michèle (b. 1538). Though Marie will be going to Poland, that still gives him three daughters to use for alliances within empire. Perhaps Brandenburg, depending on their religious affiliation, and Cleves? Bavaria might work as well.
Louise is much more at home in sunny Naples than in cold Scotland! Louis IV and Louise has two children so far, with more to come: Francesca (b. 1536) and Renato (b. 1537).
Ahh cool! So there are a couple of more kids running around than I thought :) Good to know!
  • [Ilg.] Marguerite (1536); with François of France; Died Young.
  • [Ilg.] Charles-Hercule (1540); with François of France; Died Young.
Hmmm, with their two youngest children dying young, and with Anne not that young herself in the 1540s, I wonder if her and Francois’ relationship will end soon
Marie's issue with the Sieur de La Bussiére is not included because they don't end up being of any importance, but they do have children. Marie ends up having a happy and prosperous life away from court in Paris, where she hosts a renowned salon. Jean du Tillet is a royal archivist... so not an amazing match as far as things are concerned, but it was arranged when Anne was just beginning her ascent. I've scrubbed some things out of this tree (namely, future titles) as I don't wanna give away too much yet. ;)
Honestly, probably the happiest ending for her. She gets away from all the drama. Also, I’ve heard that historians make excellent husbands :angel:

Ahh cool! So there are a couple of more kids running around than I thought :) Good to know!
Yep! I don't mention every birth / death of course, and the younger children especially tend to be on the periphery until they get older. But I'm always making edits and changes to the family trees (as well as working on others... I've working on the primary German nobility in particular, not just the electoral houses, but also the House of Württemberg, Baden, and any other rather important German families. I'm hoping to get started on some of the other Italian dynasties as well, so far I only have the House of Savoy and the Medici).

Hmmm, with their two youngest children dying young, and with Anne not that young herself in the 1540s, I wonder if her and Francois’ relationship will end soon
The birth of her last son will be particularly difficult for Anne, and she is... ah, "wounded in the king's service," as some would say. We'll definitely cover that soon, but François remains attached to Anne, and even as their relationship ceases in certain physical aspects, he still remains enamored with her, much akin to Louis XV and the Marquise de Pompadour. Given François predilections though, I have no doubt that he will likely have petit amours.

Honestly, probably the happiest ending for her. She gets away from all the drama. Also, I’ve heard that historians make excellent husbands :angel:
Yes, she has a happy and prosperous life!

Will we be getting an update concerning the French court? An awful lot of major developments seem to have happened off-screen.
I'll probably return there soon. Probably not the next chapter, but maybe the one after that.

Aside from the Dauphin's marriage, very little of interest to the overall story has happened since our last chapter there. Beatriz has given François a son, though their relationship has not improved, and he continues to favor Anne over her. Anne and Beatriz continue to feud, and Anne's brother remains in great favor. They'll be some more interesting things to cover in the next update when we return to Paris.

Been racing through this tl into the early hours of the morning and I have been kept on the edge of my seat throughout- I cannot but commend the author in the strongest of terms for managing to thread the needle and find a timeline that is divergent enough to feel fresh and exciting, plausible enough to feel grounded and true, rich in detail covering a broad swath of space and also rich in emotional impact.

I was genuinely surprised by how invested I became in Empress Mary and Alexander of Scotland.

It seems to me that others have made valid points about the emerging reformation- with much less military support from Scandinavia or England, and military support from Hungary being tied to Islam, Lutheranism might converge more strongly on Melanchthon in the following decade, together with his openness to conciliation with Catholics. In general the fall of Vienna would have terrified the entire empire and probably solidified all Protestant leaning nobles behind the emperor.

Furthermore, with an openly Lutheran sister, Charles V is also likely a lot more sympathetic to certain Lutheran ideas- especially if he can manage to kick the French out of northern italy long enough to not have to get through them to deal with the pope for the duration of a council, I am personally optimistic about the chances of the pope allowing a German rite Catholicism which allows for communion in both kinds, vernacular liturgies, and married clergy.

That way you’re not trying to impose these ideas on the conservatism of Spain or Italy.

Language wise though- as long as France has Italian territories, there’s no way Francis is declaring the ordinance of villers coterets which made French the only official language of the kingdom, which might allow Occitan some more breathing room. The French language also remains the primary language of the imperial court in Brussels, meaning French isn’t something the French can really take special ownership of.

The North Sea empire if it manages to cling on for longer than a generation (which I think it will, the Habsburg division between brothers was particular to the culture of the empire and the scale of the territories under their sway)- I don’t think would ever seriously press their claim to Sweden, as that would be way too much for England to care about financing, and ties England into having an opinion about Poland and Russia. But given England and Denmark-Norway sharing the North Sea as their sphere of influence it’s not a catastrophic misalliance- apart from from scotlands perspective.

I also think given that Castille ittl is a lot more parliamentary, an estates general of Castile and Aragon might be on the cards.

Given that Hungary looks like it’s going the way of the Romanian principalities, and the emperor is based all the way in the Low Countries, Venice should be very scared right about now. If the ottomans can take Vienna, and Hungary is their satrap, what’s to stop a Turkish offensive swinging through and sacking the Venetian terra firma? And if that’s plausible then you know what else is plausible? A Turkish sack of Rome- even if the author doesn’t wanna take anything in that direction, it’ll still be a thought in the minds of the actors in this story that something like that could happen.

Last edited:
Been racing through this tl into the early hours of the morning and I have been kept on the edge of my seat throughout- I cannot but commend the author in the strongest of terms for managing to thread the needle and find a timeline that is divergent enough to feel fresh and exciting, plausible enough to feel grounded and true, rich in detail covering a broad swath of space and also rich in emotional impact.

I was genuinely surprised by how invested I became in Empress Mary and Alexander of Scotland.

It seems to me that others have made valid points about the emerging reformation- with much less military support from Scandinavia or England, and military support from Hungary being tied to Islam, Lutheranism might converge more strongly on Melanchthon in the following decade, together with his openness to conciliation with Catholics. In general the fall of Vienna would have terrified the entire empire and probably solidified all Protestant leaning nobles behind the emperor.

Furthermore, with an openly Lutheran sister, Charles V is also likely a lot more sympathetic to certain Lutheran ideas- especially if he can manage to kick the French out of northern italy long enough to not have to get through them to deal with the pope for the duration of a council, I am personally optimistic about the chances of the pope allowing a German rite Catholicism which allows for communion in both kinds, vernacular liturgies, and married clergy.

That way you’re not trying to impose these ideas on the conservatism of Spain or Italy.

Language wise though- as long as France has Italian territories, there’s no way Francis is declaring the ordinance of villers coterets which made French the only official language of the kingdom, which might allow Occitan some more breathing room. The French language also remains the primary language of the imperial court in Brussels, meaning French isn’t something the French can really take special ownership of.

The North Sea empire if it manages to cling on for longer than a generation (which I think it will, the Habsburg division between brothers was particular to the culture of the empire and the scale of the territories under their sway)- I don’t think would ever seriously press their claim to Sweden, as that would be way too much for England to care about financing, and ties England into having an opinion about Poland and Russia. But given England and Denmark-Norway sharing the North Sea as their sphere of influence it’s not a catastrophic misalliance- apart from from scotlands perspective.

I also think given that Castille ittl is a lot more parliamentary, an estates general of Castile and Aragon might be on the cards.

Given that Hungary looks like it’s going the way of the Romanian principalities, and the emperor is based all the way in the Low Countries, Venice should be very scared right about now. If the ottomans can take Vienna, and Hungary is their satrap, what’s to stop a Turkish offensive swinging through and sacking the Venetian terra firma? And if that’s plausible then you know what else is plausible? A Turkish sack of Rome- even if the author doesn’t wanna take anything in that direction, it’ll still be a thought in the minds of the actors in this story that something like that could happen.
Thank you for reading through, Madhukar! Happy have to you along for the ride! And thank you for the commentary!

The religious situation will definitely be interesting: you have the British Isles that continue to remain connected to the Catholic Church, along with bastions of the Catholic faith as far north as Denmark and Norway. Denmark is interesting as it's reformation has been halted with Christian II's restoration, but the idea of Melanchthon's theologies becoming more important vs. Luther's is definitely an interesting aspect to consider, most especially because as you've mentioned. And who's to say something might not happen to Luther? If he died a bit earlier, it could solidify Melanchthon's position... I do think it is important to consider, however, that despite Melanchthon's relative openness compared to Luther, it's worth noting that he later regretted his negotiations in the later 1540s around the Augsburg / Leipzig Interims. The Leipzig Interim, especially, with it's numerous concessions to the Protestants didn't really win anyone over.

I do think, however, that it is totally possible for some Lutherans to be returned to the fold and for some sort of German flavor Catholicism to be born. The seeds are already being lain with the new Concordat to create a Gallican style Catholic Church in Germany. There's no reason why some further concessions can't be made. IIRC, the Popes even allowed communion of both kinds in Germany for a brief period in the 1560s, and of course you have the Ultraquists that have the right, too. The Vernacular Litgury wouldn't be impossible either: the Glagolitic Mass that's celebrated in Croatia is spoken in Church Slavonic, rather than Latin, for instance.

Charles isn't too pleased with his sister's conversion, but there's not much to be done about it. He also has someone living in his own household who's flirting with the new faith: his wife, the Empress Renée. Just as Mary has become close to the Lutherans, Renée might serve as a protectress to Jean Calvin and the other reformers cropping up in the 1540s. The fact that Spain has all but fallen out of his hands means that there's more worth to Charles being conciliatory, rather than actively fighting with the Protestants.

Good point, re: Villers Coterets. It was the brain child of a the chancellor of the time, so it's quite possible that something similar may crop up; the language ordinance was one knock off, but the other points were primarily to standardize things. I still think at some point, there's likely to be some form of administrative reform that shifts the language of governmental documents in France away from Latin and into French. Any such act though would likely apply only to France, and to Milan, which remains a separate state, albeit in personal union. The Duchy of Milan's government will develop further in the next decade, but at the moment it's primarily governed by French appointed governors. Given the constant conflict over the Duchy, the position will need to be settled (which it shall be) before it's future position vis à vis the French crown is developed.

England and Denmark definitely have some interesting times ahead, that's for sure. I definitely agree with you that Sweden will likely remain outside of the orbit of this state, but I know people are also rooting for it to happen. ;) I haven't made a decision yet. I personally think the map looks a bit dull without smaller and medium sized states, so I lean more towards Sweden remaining free, but there are good arguments for issues that Gustav Vasa had that could allow the Kalmar Union to be restored. And of course, with Christian II's restoration, he might see it as a good idea to mend fences with Sweden by arranging the marriage of one of his daughters to Gustav Vasa (he lost his first wife c. 1536, but it was also happened during a visit of Christian III... but butterflies can make anything possible). Both daughters remain claimants to the Dano-Norwegian throne, albeit after their brother.

Yes: the Revolt of the Communeros has sort of ended in a 'compromise'... neither the radical rebels nor the royalists managed to totally triumph, and so the Cortes of Castile has strengthened it's position somewhat. It's hard to say whether that'll carry into the next reign, as the other Cortes of the realm (Navarre, Aragon, Valencia, ect) don't have any of the power that the Castilian one does. A savvy monarch might seek to use the other crowns of Spain to tamper down on the excesses built since 1520, but on the other hand.... the other legislatures see what the Castilians have done, and may desire such prerogatives for themselves.

Some interesting thoughts on the Turks, however, and I love it! Venetian fears, especially: could explain why they agreed to make over the Ionian Islands / Corfu to the Knights of St. John (outside of some French influence / pressure, of course). Adding an additional naval / military support near Greece from the Knights could help soothe Venetian concerns, especially with their remaining territories in the Aegean, Crete, and of course Cyprus. I could also see fears of an invasion of Rome, for sure.

England and Denmark definitely have some interesting times ahead, that's for sure. I definitely agree with you that Sweden will likely remain outside of the orbit of this state, but I know people are also rooting for it to happen. ;) I haven't made a decision yet. I personally think the map looks a bit dull without smaller and medium sized states, so I lean more towards Sweden remaining free, but there are good arguments for issues that Gustav Vasa had that could allow the Kalmar Union to be restored. And of course, with Christian II's restoration, he might see it as a good idea to mend fences with Sweden by arranging the marriage of one of his daughters to Gustav Vasa (he lost his first wife c. 1536, but it was also happened during a visit of Christian III... but butterflies can make anything possible). Both daughters remain claimants to the Dano-Norwegian throne, albeit after their brother.
It’s me, hi, I’m the people, it’s me

I still believe that you could have Denmark-Norway reconquer Sweden and then split the Anglo and the Scandi realms up once Mary and John are gone. First son (A Henry perhaps?) gets the English parts while second son (A Christian? Although hopefully no ttl version of the Christian/Frederik alternation) gets the Scandinavian parts. That way we won’t end up with one super large realm. It’ll be like a northern version of the Habsburgs. Hopefully with less inbreeding though

Talking about inbreeding, could an English/Danish marriage for infante Fernando Alonso be found? if there's a daughter of John and Mary in the appropiate age range, she would be related both to the Trastámara and Habsburgs and the wedding would serve to tighten the relations between Spain and England. As Spain is probably not going to be as involved in continental matters as IOTL, that could be useful.

Talking about inbreeding, could an English/Danish marriage for infante Fernando Alonso be found? if there's a daughter of John and Mary in the appropiate age range, she would be related both to the Trastámara and Habsburgs and the wedding would serve to tighten the relations between Spain and England. As Spain is probably not going to be as involved in continental matters as IOTL, that could be useful.
Their eldest (and so far only) daughter Mary might be a good match for him.